DVD player maintenance

TarfHead

I bought a portable player some months back and now it has started to misbehave. It is not recognising DVDs or CDs. In addition, there are some marks on the LCD screen.

2 questions
  • what is the best way to clean the 'head' of a DVD player; using a disc with some cleaner bristles, or with some solution and a cotton bud ?
  • what is the best way remove 'scum' from a LCD screen ?
Thanks

The problem described in the earlier post has now deteriorated and now the DVD player won't recognise any disc (DVD or CD). I bought a DVD cleaner kit from a TV shop and it hasn't improved the situation.

Anyone here know of any place, in Dublin, that carries out repairs of DVD players ? I bought it through ebay so warranty isn't an option. I phoned Peats and they only take in items bought there.

Thanks

There is a place in D4 that I was directed to by the Sony Centre (not exclusively Sony AFAIK) when my discman gave up that I'm pretty sure looked at TVs, DVDs etc. as well. It's on the canal, last turn on the LHS (as you come from the city centre) before Baggot Bridge. They fixed my discman ok (at nearly the same cost as I originally paid for it :( - but that's electronics!). The name totally escapes me I'm afraid. Try the Golden Pages (or ring the Sony Centre).

TarfHead said:
I bought it through ebay so warranty isn't an option.

Has it taken any knocks recently ? It could be the laser angle has been shifted you could try running cleaner disc through it several times.

On the Warranty side:
I wouldn't discount the warranty just because its bought on Ebay - if you were sold faulty goods ask for a replacement and if you don't get satisfaction give the seller a really crap rating.

paddyc said:
Has it taken any knocks recently ? It could be the laser angle has been shifted you could try running cleaner disc through it several times.
Hasn't taken any knocks, that I know of. Was working OK during drive to Cork last week, and then started to freeze up.

paddyc said:
On the Warranty side:
I wouldn't discount the warranty just because its bought on Ebay - if you were sold faulty goods ask for a replacement and if you don't get satisfaction give the seller a really crap rating.

It was over 6 months ago and I've already provided feedback. The after-sale 'service' provided involves paying for it's return to Hong Kong so getting it done locally is, to me, preferable.

Also, it had worked fine (guess-timate 50 hours of use) up to then.

Back