DVD player - HDMI or not

Happy_Harry

My TV (Philips LCD 1 year old) has DVI socket but no HDMI. Thinking of buying a new DVD player (no recorder- is for the BR), should I get one with HDMI outlet or not . There are HDMI to DVI cables so I could connect the TV up that way. Question is though would you see any difference when watching your standard DVD, or do you need HD DVD , if they exist, to be able to use your HD DVD player and your HD TV ?

Also, I am sick and tired of 2 things of my DVD player: 1) The remote - you need to press a button 5 times or more for something to happen - batteries are fine. 2) When you switch on the DVD player and it has a DVD in it, you need to wait 10-15 seconds "loading" before you can eject the disk.
My old DVD player was a 45 euro one, bought 18 months ago.
Can any one help me out with the HDMI mystery and recommend me a reasonably priced DVD player that has none of these 2 annoying habits.

You will see an improvement on standard def DVDs when using HDMI.

45 squid is not going to buy you a very good DVD player even in these budget days. I would buy something like the upconverting DVD player for a little over €100. Plays DIVX too!

For high def DVDs, i.e. HD DVD and Blu-Ray, it is probably too early to buy into either technology yet and in any case they are expensive.

Update: one more thing - since you were having remote problems and if the remote is an issue for you, you could consider buying a Philips DVD player with HDMI, which means you would be able to control the TV and DVD from the same remote. Saves you needing two remotes or having to buy a universal one.

Merci MonsieurBond.
I am well aware and prepared to pay a bit more than 45 euro this time around, so I might have a look at that Samsung.
Re: using the TV remote for the DVD player,I don't think I'll go there as there are no separate buttons for DVD/TV/SAT on the remote, they double for the different devices and you have a button to click each time you change from using the remote for TV or DVD...I know that will do my head in after a while, like thinking you change channel on the TV, but all of a sudden the DVD player switches on because you forgot to put the setting back to TV...

Last edited:
There are HDMI to DVI cables so I could connect the TV up that way
Note that whilst HDMI can carry sound and vision, DVI is vision only so you will need separate facility to cater for sound

Wasn't meaning to be sarcastic. I do recommend the Samsung (and Philips) upscaling DVD players.

Re the remote, you are right, you need to change the function on the remote first - same is true for any universal remote e.g. Logitech Harmony. However, this is less true if both remotes are original remotes from the same manufacturer - if you use the Philips DVD remote as the primary remote, there are buttons to change the TV volume and channel on it, which are after all, the most used buttons on the TV remote.

(Same is true if you had a Sony TV and Sony DVD. I'm not necessarily pushing Philips - although I do have a Philips TV & DVD - it's just that you said you already had a Philips TV.)

Anyway, the one-less-remote argument should only come into play if you can't otherwise decide between a DVD from the same marque as your TV and another one e.g. Samsung and Philips.