DVD 'not for rental' sticker ignored

nt00deep

A new DVD rental store opened locally recently, offering DVD rentals at the same price as other local competitors.

However, I noticed that ALL of the DVDs I picked up (a dozen or so) were for home use (i.e. had the "Not for Renal" label).

Two questions ...
1) Has anyone else spotted this in their rental store
2) What body would be responsible for enforcing the "Not for Rental" principle?

We used to get DVD's from a store and every single one of them said
" not for rental" both on the DVD and also on one of the disclaimers at the start of viewing...

Dont know who enforces it though, Sorry

MPAA would be interested to hear about this. Rental copies of films cost a lot more than the ones for general sale.

Then where is the problem

presumably the OP is concerned that the store renting the DVD's is doing so illegally as they are clearly marked "not for rental" and yet are being rented.!

Molly said:
presumably the OP is concerned that the store renting the DVD's is doing so illegally as they are clearly marked "not for rental" and yet are being rented.!
Yeah i know that but how does it affect the OP?

Huh??? think its fairly obvious from original post.....OP obviously just fancies snitching on the store...

Molly said:
Huh??? think its fairly obvious from original post.....OP obviously just fancies snitching on the store...
Well thats what I was thinking but asked the question as maybe the user of any dvd in this case is liable for something.

"OP" here.

Snithcing is one thing on my mind, but unlikely. I am interested in the motivations for doing this. I understand the cost savings in doing so, but don't (yet) understand the potential downside for the retailer (i.e. what the sanctions are if caught).

I am also curious to know how widespread this is, because this particular instance was so in your face, my immediate conclusion was that (a) it must be widespread and/or (b) it must go largely unprosecuted.

This is a form of piracy I was not aware of until now. Any of the Irish sites I have looked at on the topic deal with illegal downloads, bootlegs, etc., but I have yet to see a reference to unintended use of a for-home legitimate DVD.

The more likely outcome for me is I will rent a DVD and keep it, because with a 5-euro price on it, and a "Not for Rental" sticker on it, one might reasonably conclude it is being offered for sale at 5-euro.

As regards whether it worked in my player or not, I don't know because they did not have the new-release I was looking for.

nt00deep said:
The more likely outcome for me is I will rent a DVD and keep it, because with a 5-euro price on it, and a "Not for Rental" sticker on it, one might reasonably conclude it is being offered for sale at 5-euro.
I somehow doubt that that would stand up in a court of law. But then again, it sounds like that's the last place on earth this guy would like to go...! ;)

Yeah - rent all your favourite DVD's, keep them and then see what happens...
If he does write to you, you can dare him to bring you to court :)

Of course he probably knows where you live, and a guy who is prepared to rent a "non-rental" DVD would be capable of anything...

Rental DVDs are different from the retail version. Usually less extras and are packed to the brim with trailers you can't fast forward.

Strangely I have recently purchased DVD's from play.com that clearly say "For rental or resale". Wonder what's the story with that?

Report them - they probably paid EUR20 each (assuming they are not pirated...) and have probably made (or will make) many times that in rental income from them - they should have paid more.

But why report them? Wheres the harm in it? Let them get away with it as long as they can. Surely they are not providing a product of less value to the consumer.

rkeane said:
But why report them? Wheres the harm in it? Let them get away with it as long as they can. Surely they are not providing a product of less value to the consumer.
I presume that IRMA or some similar body would police or enforce this. Mind you, I don't know where you would go about buying Rental Versions.

As far as I know, rental only versions used to be released by some companies, with few or no extra features, a while before the version for sale. However, I haven't seen this so much of late - DVDs seem to come out in retail and rental versions at the same time, or just in one version. I don't know if there is a large price difference between versions intended for rental and for general retail.

It also seems that that this happens in the UK as well - to the [broken link removed], no less! :)

It is INFACT (Irish National Federation Against Copyright Theft) that regulate this in Ireland.

As regards differences in Price a rental copy costs about €100-150 whereas the retail would be €20-30.

This judgement hints at the price difference in Rental and Retail copies. [broken link removed]

Back