DVD + hard drive

Markjbloggs

I know there has been a thread on it in the past, but it seems to have gone stale.

What is the best DVD + hard drive combo? I looked at the Philips 8010 yesterday and was suitably impressed - any thoughts as to how this stacks up against other models?

tia
M

In my opinion, buy Sky+ and buy a DVD Burner separate

Last edited:
Dunno about that particular model, but I believe Philips have a pretty good rep. This previous thread may be of interest.

[Edit: just spotted this thread on Boards.ie about a special offer from Aldi — 160GB DVD/HDD Recorder for €269.99]

The Philips Store on the corner of Georges st and Dame st sells a non-Philips product that is also a 160GB hard disk with DVD recorder - not sure if it is the same brand.

I suppose you can't go too far wrong for this money, but in my experience the user interface and general ease of use is much superior on "mainstream" brands like Philips, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Samsung etc. These guys have been making DVD players and recorders for a lot longer.

Many of these cheaper units are basically PCs with PC hard discs and DVD drives. Nothing wrong with this per se but they are not as well suited IMHO to home use and seem to require frequent firmware upgrades.

So, a good candidate for a tech-savvie customer but will not score too high on the WAF or on ease of use for other members of the family.

...the user interface and general ease of use is much superior on "mainstream" brands like Philips, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Samsung etc. These guys have been making DVD players and recorders for a lot longer.
Very often the Tevion products offered by Aldi are rebranded LGs — but I've no idea about that particular player/recorder, and yes, that's a very valid point.
Must remember that technical term...