DVD hack for Amstrad DX 3190

Omega

Does anyone know where I might get a multi-region hack for this machine which I saw in Dunnes Stores for about e39? I've looked at some hack sites but there seems to be no mention of it.....
I'm also looking for a hack for a Powerpoint PP2191 DVD/TV combi.....
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many Thanks.....

I am afraid there is no hack available for that player. It is already muti region out of the box, so unless you watch RCE titles it should do you just fine.

Thanks for the reply;
The reason I thought it was not multi-region was that there is a Region 2 stamp on the back of it. Is this merely a formality and is it in fact multi?

From all the reviews I have read, they indicate it is locked at region 0 and cannot be changed.

I thought 'region 0' effectively meant region-free?

I bought one, and am well pleased with it for €40 — particularly the fact that it's DivX-compatible. Only gripes I'd have with it are the incredibly bright power indicator LED (which stays on in standby mode) and the very flimsy-looking disc tray mechanism. I wouldn't fancy its chances of survival around small kids ...or heavy-handed big ones!

Dr Moriarty,
Can you confirm that it plays DVD's from Regions other than 2?
and does it have a Region 2 stamp on the back? Thanks.

pgf5312 said:
Can you confirm that it plays DVD's from Regions other than 2?
I don't think I have any discs that aren't region 2 (or else region-free backups), but I'll see if I can borrow one...
pgf5312 said:
and does it have a Region 2 stamp on the back?
I'm pretty sure mine didn't, but I'll check at home later.

No sign of any stamp on my one. Maybe Limerick is exempt from such petty legal requirements?

Couldn't find a region 1 disc anywhere, pgf5312, but this thread over on Boards.ie suggests the thing is factory-set to region 0 (so is effectively region-free for the purposes of older DVDs?), but can't read RCE discs.

Other than that, the verdict seems to be 'pretty ghetto'... I presume that's good?

Egad! Nice FX rate... (£20/€40)

Although it's mad when you think of it, really. Imagine the price, five or ten years ago, of a wee black box capable of playing back 6 or 8 hours' worth of DivX/XviD, thousands of mp3s or jpegs, etc. — all from a blank DVD+R costing 30c or 40c...