DVD copying regulations

It depends on the copyright/license terms & conditions. In general I think not.

i think your allowed create one back up copy of software/dvd/cd once you dont sell them. a company called DVDXCOPY went to court over their software that could copy a dvd with a click of the button.

I tried to get to the bottom of this a while ago. As far as I'm aware Ireland has no concept of "fair use" in law that would normally govern the making of personal copies of CDs/DVDs etc. for backup purposes. As far as I know all copying of such copyrighted content is technically illegal. This includes ripping to MP3 etc. so obviously many people ignore the technicalities.

dvd Xcopy were closed down by the movie industry 2 years ago

As far as I know all copying of such copyrighted content is technically illegal.
Yeah, I thought the same. If its right, then its interesting how companies like sony can produce music on cds AND make [broken link removed] AND be so vocal on defending [broken link removed]. Do they expect people to buy separate versions of their music in digital format for their mp3 players?

edit: I know that digital rights case in the link was for music sharing as opposed to an individual copying a cd for their own use, but sony havent made their stance clear on that as far I can find.

Lots of interesting news/discussion of these issues over on [broken link removed] (search results for 'copyright' in their News section; I think the link may have a built-in timeout).

Remember this old post from Monsieur Bond?