DVD Camcorder Sony DCR-DVD92

ice

Hi All,

Have seen this on Pixmania for 527 ...any good? Would I be better to spend a bit more? Is this missing and essential features that would be on a more expensive camcorder?

Record directly on to DVD! Film those special occasions with the digital camcorder DCR-DVD92 from Sony. With its CCD Super HAD captor of 800,000 pixels, the DCR-DVD92 has an optical zoom of 20x and a digital stabilizer Steadyshot, to ensure your Home videos are the best quality. The DCR-DVD92 is very user friendly and does not need the back up of a computer to transfer your images on to video.
Thanks

Bought this camera the other week, its brilliant. It has all the latest features but obviously the main one is that you can record onto mini dvd, then pop it straight into any dvd player (inc laptop/pc) and view, its also a camera and you can save the pics as jpegs on your pc and edit through any photo software. the only obvious feature that the more expensive ones have is you cannot edit your movies on a laptop but I was told by a sony shop assistant that the models that can do this, the software to edit is pretty poor and the video gets pixelised when you edit them so the quality is poor, so Unless your very advanced in video, this is a great camera imho. Cam Tapes are a thing of the past.

Mine cost more than what you have quoted cos i bought from Sony shop so thats a good price you have.

I got this a few months back, and the basic facilities are fine. The still-camera facility is pretty poor quality (no flash), so it won't replace a standard digital camera. The problem with the lack of editing facilities is that you can't split up stuff that you've recorded or convert into other formats. I'd love to be able to make brief clips of what I've recorded available on the web as an .avi or .mpg file, but I can't find a way to do this.

While I agree that tape based cameras will eventually disappear I don't think that will happen as long as .mpg based recorders are the only affordable alternative. DVD (mpeg) is a highly compressed format, inferior to mini-DV, and as has been pointed out, editing is a problem.

.mpg editors are clumsy at best. An alternative is to convert to a frame-based format that you can then edit on your computer. If the camera has analogue video out you could play out to a mini-DV recorder then recapture that into your editing software. But there would be an inevitable quality loss.

Thanks for the replies...am really looking for something to take the kids at Christmas etc...and something that won't break the bank so think I will go for this model..

cheers