DVD Backup Query

JMR

I have a large number of original DVD's which I want to back up.
I am using DVD Fab Platinum 3.0.8.0 to copy the DVD onto a blank Philips DVD.

The problem I have is that even though the burning process always appears to work fine, in a small percentage of cases, when I actually go to view the copied version the disc will freeze or skip about an hour into the movie - very fristrating

The player I am using is a cheapo Maxim €40 Dunnes Stores special but the same problem arises on my sons Playstation 2.

Any ideas if the problem lies with software / player / brand of blank DVD?

Thanks in advance

Is it a security feature in the original DVD? Some of my music CDs are copy-protected, and, while I can copy the CD to my PC and onto my MP3 player, I find that there can be skipping in some of the tracks.

Why not use DVD Shrink to backup your DVD's? It worked very well when I used it.

I was originally using DVD Shrink but DVD Fab is even quicker and easier to use.
Unfortunately I am not sure if my problems only arose with DVD Fab or if the problem exists with copies I made with DVD Shrink also.....

I'd guess the problem is the player. I had similar problems with an Aldi/Tevion badged OEM player. I returned the Aldi player and got a Philips, I haven't had a problem since. You should try said discs on a friends player.

Unless they are very rare DVD it would be more economical just to buy a replacement if they ever get damaged.

Why not use DVD Shrink to backup your DVD's? It worked very well when I used it.

Would be interesting to know approx. how many DVD's you copied and did 100% of them work perfectly?
What brand of blank DVD were you using and what type of player do you have?

I only seem to have a problem with maybe 5 to 10% of the movies I copied, but it is a major pain to be an hour into the movie and then the DVD freezes!
Having said that, if I go back to the movie at a later date it can work fine or if it does give trouble it won't be at the same point in the movie!!

More economical to buy a 16E DVD if it gets scratched or backup to a 20cent blank DVD?!

Personally I've never had a DVD damaged so bad that it didn't work. We lost one I just grapped it on our HD recorder next time it was on the TV. Lots of DVD's are less than €16 and thats not including the time, and hassle it takes. I started out making backups, and got fed up with so many being corrupted.

Maybe I should have said "including the economy of effort" to back them up.

I do appreciate your point. I guess it also depends on how carefully you handle your DVD's. I think for someone with 3 young kids is makes more sense than someone who rarely watches their DVDs. I don't bother to backup my dvd's anymore either but then again I only have a handful.

The reason I started doing it was because of the preschooler "finesse" in handling the DVD's which they always manage to get their hands on. In the ended they are getting so cheap now, that I stopped doing it unless its a much used disk, and one thats handy for emergency distractions. I find DVD's now for as little as €5 and 7 in bargain bins and places like extravision/powercity. The kids like looking at the covers. I'm not that precious about them myself.

I was considering editing some DVD's to take out the scary bits and violents so that the kids could watch them. They make some films so that Kids can't watch but then target all the toys at them which is very mean. Thats probably against their copyright though.

You're recommended not to back them up "simultaniously" i.e. don't have one drive ripping and the other burning at the same time.
The DVDShrink option would be good or if you want to do an iso, CloneDVD, but i really think you should do it seperately, (rip the disk to the HD then burn the image to a dvd.)

but i really think you should do it seperately, (rip the disk to the HD then burn the image to a dvd.)

That's what DVD Fab does for you. I only have the one drive in my laptop.
When the ripping process is finished it pops open and asks you for a blank DVD.