Duty free allowance?

stobear

Folks
What exactly do the DAA mean by this comment (..and on board European airline flights.....) below. I an travelling to Atlanta next week, is this airline exempt?

Can I still buy liquids, cosmetics or other substances covered by the regulations in the airport shops beyond the passenger security points, and take these on board the aircraft?
You can still buy liquids and other substances covered by the regulations, in containers of any size, after the security screening point and on board European airline flights. Liquids and gels purchased after the security screening point or on board will be packed and sealed for you in a tamper-evident bag as necessary by the shop or cabin personnel.

Where does the confusion arise?

Bear in mind that if you bought stuff this way on the way back (e.g. in Atlanta) and are carrying it when transferring in, say, London on the way back to Dublin then security will probably confiscate it unless it is within the usual limits (e.g. max 100ml of any liquid/gel etc.).

In the unlikely event of anyone in Dublin airport actually paying attention. I come through the blue channel usually, and rarely see any customs officers. I don't have anything to declare, but if I did, it would be hard to find someone to declare it to!

I wasn't talking about customs. I was talking about the security checks on liquids/gels etc.

Fair enough.

If transferring via London for example, you could presumably put it into your checked in case, if you had space.

Mind you, that would mean not checking your luggage all the way through. Hardly worth it for a few bottles of shampoo!

I will be transferring to another flight in Atlanta, if the duty free bag remains sealed originating in Dublin (in whatever fashion) the security checkpoint in Atlanta may confiscate it, irrespective of the condition of the bag. Is this a likely possibility?

I think in this case you will have to wait until Atlanta to purchase your duty free if it is liquids.

If you are transferring from another US airport via Atlanta to Dublin, the best thing to do is wait until you get to Atlanta and buy your duty-free there and then you should have no problems.

If you are on the outbound journey and are arriving into Atlanta and connecting to another US airport, you should place the duty free in your hold luggage when you collect in Atlanta and before you re-check it in for your onward connection. (in case you aren't aware, you must pick up your luggage at the carousel and pass through Customs at your first port of entry to the US even though you are still flying on)