Dust

E

Elphaba

Cleaning the other day and noticed vast swathes of dust up under the skylight over the stairs, sweeping down like something from a vampire castle....then went on to notice quite thick layers of dust on top of picture frames, until I became alramed at the amount of dust in my house,
and powerless in its wake. Also made me feel quite wistful remembering when we first moved in to our new shiny house, when dust didn't accumulate so quickly! Spiders love our house

Sounds like the opening lines of an esoteric novel Elphaba - are you smoking something?

Oh, Elphaba! The ending wasn't quite the one I expected. :(

I was waiting for you to tell us that the dusty frames contained a lost masterpiece by Van Gogh!

:D haha don't be lyin Cav.. whats that saying, you're only as old as the woman you feel?!

Haven't smoked anything like that for years....although I was amused at the milk man in the U.K. recently, who also delivered spamspamspam to some of his customers...now wouldn't that be nice, a spliff or two after the sunday roast. Anyway, I actually like the strings of dust and they are still there.

This thread rwminds me of a joke:

Little girl to mother; " Mammy, what's butt dust?"
Mammy;"I'don't know. Why do you ask?"
"Because the priest said 'remember that we are butt dust'"

It reminds me of Quentin Crisp, who, when asked why he didn't do housework, remarked that the dust didn't get any worse after the first 4 inches.....

Just to remind anyone who didn't know (and I guess the OP in the toilet hygiene thread won't like it) that most 'dust' is composed of dead skin cells...

I think the best thing about dust is seeing it dance and swirl in a shaft of sunlight when having a quiet afternoon pint in an "old man's" pub.

my other half used to sell hoovers door to door in his youth and once demonstrated it as a practice to his mother by hoovering her mattress. He then opened the hoover to show her how much dead skin was contained in her mattress and proceeded to accidentally cover himself in a load of his mothers dead skin. He still shudders when he tells that story. Caveat you go for the older woman eh? I have an older man myself!

The worst dust has to be in my job.

I frequently have to remove window surrounds that have been up for a couple of hundred years.

There can be up to 2 or 3 inches of dust to deal with.

When I first started this job many years ago I used to just remove the face cover then drop everything onto the ground, what a dust storm...

Now that I'm older and wiser (what my wife says isn't relevant) I remove the face cover then vaccum the contents out.

I have come across some pigeons skeletons and very old bottles.

This dust is very very fine dust it gets into your hands and marks them for ages after

I there still alcohol in them? Do you check?!

This is me you are talking to.

Yes of course I checked, do you think I'm going to risk throwing out a fine whiskey that might be in a milk bottle.

Fair enough here's your pile.

You can mix it with some sweat to make it taste better...

Back