Dust on concrete floor in new house

mobileme

Hi all,

We are moving into a new house next week and it will be a couple of weeks before all flooring etc. is done. I've heard of something you can get to put on the floors in the interim to keep the dust down - what should I be looking for?

Re: Dust in new house

Should be instructions on the tub but if I recall correctly dilute it something like 5:1 water:Polybond and give the concrete floor a few coats using a roller having swept/hoovered as much dust away as possible first.

Beware when hoovering concrete dust - It will burn out the motor

Will or may? I did it before and it didn't cause any problems. But that as about 15 years ago. Maybe dust is different these days?

Should be instructions on the tub but if I recall correctly dilute it something like 5:1 water:Polybond and give the concrete floor a few coats using a roller having swept/hoovered as much dust away as possible first.

I got some at lunchtime and your memory serves you well...it is 5:1 ratio.

Thanks!

It feck up my hoover (new bagless yoke). I then read the warranty and specifically mentions not to use the hoover on building dust

(probaly be Ok on a small patch but not on all the floors)

The hoovers now are cr*p. last no time at all. i remember my mum buying a Russian made hoover about 20 years ago, it only packed in a year ago

Got great industrial strength wet/dry hoover in Homebase last week only around E130, having killed a dyson cleaning builder dirt.

I bought a cheap yoke in Tesco for 30 spanners - works a treat

You can polybond over the dusty floor.

Does no harm to the roller - just but a cheap roller & tray.

THe dust just sticks to the floor.

Assuming its just regular dust!

Thanks all. The vacuum cleaner is relatively new so I'll be careful about using it. Think my mum might have an old one on the garage suitable for the job. It's going to be a long weekend!

Oh I knew I was right to keep the sparkly new Dyson in its packaging. The Electrolux is spitting fire with all the dust it has to pick up.

It's only our sitting room that is still 'bare' as we couldn't decide what to put down, but the dust is unreal! We put wrapping that was on the TV when we got it, down as a carpet and its working a treat.

G

A friend of mine used that stuff "to keep the dust down" on her floors and they took a very long time to dry out and they weren't able to put their floors in for months. She thinks the stuff was at fault as it somehow stops moisture escaping from the floor. Maybe that's how it keeps the dust down.

She must have done it wrong - when I did it using the 5:1 waterolybond solution mentioned above it was almost dry where I started by the time I reached the other end of the room. Unless you mean that the concrete floor itself had not dried out sufficiently?

I used Thompsons water sealer on a new (small) extension and it worked a treat. May work out a bit expensive though for a full house but again check the covering capacity