Duration of RTE ad breaks

Gordanus

Has anyone noticed these getting shorter? Despite padding them by advertising future programmes, there's barely enough time to make it to the loo and back! Is there less advertising?

YEAH THE LOUD ADS ARE RIDICULOSIS ..have to keep adjusting the volume.
IN THE PREMIERSHIP OR very pop programmes the ad breaks are very long.....guess you must be watching unpopular programmes

I know Cillitbang is incredibly annoying but have you heard the new Bud ad? The guy has a piercing scream. I don't turn the sound down, I either mute the tv or change channel. Very disappointing, their ads are usually so entertaining.

Two things in particular put me off watching much TV: (a) when (particularly with documentaries or current affairs programs) they feel obliged to recap on what went before after each ad break in case we all forgot or just tuned in and (b) when a programme is basically a radio programme with pictures that don't really add anything to the overall experience. I much prefer radio most of the time to be honest.

This recapping business is becoming much more prevalent isn't it? I feel that they are just dumbing it down even more than it used to be. It's almost as if they feel that they have to repeat a point several times, in much the same way before the general public will 'get it'.

And then there are the spate of 'revisited' programmes. I love Grand Designs, for example. But lately it's Grand Design revisited, so you get 99% of an old show with a brief update, usually not very interesting. Many programmes seem to be at it. No Experience Required, House in the Sun etc etc.

This recapping business is becoming much more prevalent isn't it?
In my previous post I suggested that programmes had a habit of recapitulated on what had gone on before the break and that many programmes were basically like radio programmes with pictures that added nothing to the overall experience. Yes - I agree with you.

The OP started a thread with the contention that the advert breaks on RTE were getting shorter. A number of contributors replied, some of whom ( mea culpa) were completely off-topic. Now I have returned to the thread to find out if the OP ever received a relevant reply and to suggest that the OP invests in Sky+ ( which is very handy for pausing live T.V.).

That's for the benefit of all those channel hoppers out there.

But back to the original point - I wonder if the pool of TV advertisers is getting smaller, so that there are only a couple of ads inbetween the future-programme-ads. I tend to watch a particular programme and then switch off, so I wondered if this was general..........can't be a*sed to put myself through a full evenings viewing to test out my theory! So am relying on AAMers to tell me. (God, that came out wrong! I'm not insulting you all, honest!)

I don't know. Because I'm female I tend to multitask while watching TV. So at any given time I could be reading, sleeping ( a current favourite), ironing, folding laundry, chasing children, or working on a file while 'watching' T.V. Also since getting Sky+ I have been recording my favourite programmes and then watching them after so that I can ff through the ad breaks. I don't usually get to watch one programme after another so I can't answer.

That's for the benefit of all those channel hoppers out there.

But back to the original point - I wonder if the pool of TV advertisers is getting smaller

Pool, is more or less the same. It's just spread across more channels.

I take it back. Watched Desperate Housewives this evening and the ad break went on for so long I could have cooked a 3-course dinner during one of them.

I take it back. Watched Desperate Housewives this evening and the ad break went on for so long I could have cooked a 3-course dinner during one of them.

During some show's on RTE they're very short, Lost for one. However, watching E4 last night, the adds came on, got a glass of water, ambled upstairs, ran the shower to heat the water up, showered, shampooed and shaved, came out of shower and the show only returning - I reckon their addbreaks are now about 7/8 mins long??

I prefer the short ones on RTE!

Clubman the recapping thing is coming from American TV where the attention span of the average viewer is so short and also the add breaks are soooo longgggg. You forget what you were watching.
Watch an American tv program that has not been editied properly for Irish/British TV and they recap in the middle of it, where there isn't even an add break when shown on Irish/British TV, and it becomes really annoying.

Sadly we are now copying their ways. Also it means your 1 hour program is now only 40 odd minutes when add in adds and recaps.
BTW have timed TV3 adds and they can be 8 minutes long. Ok I was bored and had little competition to see how long was the longest.

I was in Italy a few years ago and whilst watching a football match on telly, an ad came on when the ball went out for a corner!! Albeit only a 10 second effort but an ad nonetheless.