Dunnes special offer on Erin sauces

car

"Erin sauces 20-44g range
Buy 2 get 1 free
save 59c"

that was the exact text ad in my local dunnes. Erin have 2 ranges of sauces, a normal (59c)and supreme (85c). Both are in the weight range stated above. The ad was over the supreme range sauces, as they were in the weight bracket for the offer I put 3 in the basket but didnt get the 59c deducted.
Brought to attention of a manageress, she says the offer was only for the lower range, I sai do you know that for a fact or are you intrepreting it, she said intrepreting. I asked do you not think it could be interpreted that it was any of the erin sauces, she said no and just walked away from me as tho I wasnt even there. Its not the 59c that bothers me, its not the manageress' ignorant behaviour. Its the offer sign. If that was the case that offer signs can be "intrepreted", they could put "25% off meat" in the butchers department and argue that it was for only specific meat when you got to the till. Overkill on my behalf? hrumph!!!

When roughly the same situation occured in Dunnes in Limerick I got a refund plus my items free.
In my case it was buy one particular packet of ham get one free in the Denny range but the sign didn't specify whihch particular ham so when I went home and noticed I didn't get one for free I returned with my till receipt and my products.
Got my money back and got both packets of ham free.

car said:
Overkill on my behalf? hrumph!!!

Probably, but definitely frustrating. Wasn't it mentioned here somewhere that prices are an invitation to enter into a contract to purchase, but not necessarily a binding offer or something?

If it was me, I'd actually be more concerned about the actions of the Dunnes staff member. No excuse for their actions at all, no matter what the situation.

Wasn't it mentioned here somewhere that prices are an invitation to enter into a contract to purchase, but not necessarily a binding offer or something
Probably right, but its really not that bit that gets me. AFAIR, Didnt tescos get a rap on the knuckles last year about placing similar "vague" special offer signs on products and having similar products beside them so customers pick up the non-offer products and pay for them without checking. When caught the shop then says, oh, the offer wasnt meant for that product.

If it was me, I'd actually be more concerned about the actions of the Dunnes staff member. No excuse for their actions at all, no matter what the situation.
Id expect no less from their managers. I held a management position in Dunnes at one stage and while its not drilled in to be "not friendly" to customers, it was suggested in an induction course to be not "friendly" to complaining customers, if you know what I mean. Its a methodology designed to dissuade complaints.