Dumb question - screw-in cables for TV

sun_sparks

Ok this is probably up there with "how do I calculate stamp duty?" in the obvious question category, but I'm new to these parts of the sites. I've googled and searched here, but can't quite find the answer.

We just moved into a 2nd-hand house and have bought two TVs (one big one for the bf and a little one for the sun room).

In both of these locations in the house (and in the bedroom too), we have NTL/Cablelink sockets. However, these aren't like sockets I've seen before - they are screw-on sockets?

What kind of cables should I buy to connect our TV to these? Do I need a satellite box before I can use this (as I read on the back of what looked like the right cables on Saturday).

Is it likely we will have a cable connection already or will we need to ring NTL to set this up? (Like the gas or ESB.)

Thanks in advance guys!

It's not a dumb question. NTL use F-Plug connectors. You can buy F-Plug to Coax cables from [broken link removed] and the like. In fact, if you go into Maplin on Jervis St, D1 and tell them what you want, they will usually ensure you buy the correct cable.

Thanks MonsieurBond - just one more question - I don't need a satellite box for this now, do I?

sun_sparks said:
Thanks MonsieurBond - just one more question - I don't need a satellite box for this now, do I?

No. The standard connectors on your NTL cable box (where the cables terminate on your wall or window or wherever the NTL engineer installd it) use F-Plugs because (I guess) they are more secure. Or perhaps so that (for a period, anyway) no one could buy cables and connectors from third party sources.

Anyway, all you need is the conversion cable such as the one I highlighted on Maplin and you can then plug your TV in and access NTL channels (assuming the connection is live from NTL).

Hi sun-sparks,i just bought a few of those connections in homebase yesterday. Just cut of the old fitting and connect the new one.You can also get a straight thru that will connect old cable into the screw in fitting. I was connecting up a few tellys and videos,so i cut the cables nice and short. Cost €6 for all the fittings.