Dubrovnik

Paddylast

Have booked flights to Dubrovnik from beginning of June and now looking for an apartment. Anyone know nice areas to look for. Quiet area pref. I will have a car so distance is not a problem. Someone recommended Cavtat. Anyone know anything about there

Stayed one night in Cavtat at the end of our Croatia trip, nice and friendly if a bit touristy. You're only about 10 miles or so from Dubrovnik there. If you have a car (which we didn't) I would imagine you'll be flexible - public transport in Croatia is a bit hit and miss. We stayed at the Villa Katherina, a nice small hotel up on the hill over looking the harbour, next to the monastery (except at 6am when the monks ring the bell for prayers!!)

Cavtat is beautiful, as is Dubrovnik ... but only for a weekend or so.

Croatia is just too beautiful to stay in the one place too long. Within an hour or two of Dubrovnik, you have Mostar, Pelesac Peninsula, Ston, Korcula, Orebic, Medjegore (if it floats your boat), Montenegro .... you can go on and on.

Hire out a car and travel around, you won't regret it.

Dubrovnik is fantastic; it's a real experience. make sure you catch the war museum; its hidden on some backstreet but a real eye-opening experiece. It bring home what these people went through such a short time ago. Also a trip to Mostar in Bosnia is a wonderful idea; its just buiding itself up after the devestation but again such an eye-opener.

Dubrovnik has the sun and the sea, but for someone with an interest in history too it is just the perfect destination. I'm sure you will love it.

Oh and the beer is top notch too

I stayed in Dubrovnik and Cavtat when I went to croatia. Both are beautifull. In Dubrovnik we went on a day trip to Bosnia where we got into canoes and canoed down a river for a good few miles, stopping along the way for food and a rest. Well worth it.

Croatia is the stuff of legends, spent 2 seperate summers sailing around the islands. Taking ferries is a good alternative you cannot go without getting out to the islands.
If you wanna party Hvar, very pricey though to drink in some places!
Its where all the 120ft yachts and motor cruisers stay Puff Daddy style.
Bol is excellent for wind surfing, kite surfing, canoeing and general beach bumb activities! A good place to hang out and relax.
Mljet, Starigrad....too many beautiful lpaces to mention

adriatica.net = excellent site.

Stayed in Cavtat for a few nights lasy June. Stayed with friends. Very nice relaxing area. You need to be fairly fit as the surrounding area is hilly, and it can be tiring walking up and down steps etc. Plenty of cheap busses to Dubrovnik and back(up to midnight I think). Take the boat to Dubrovnik or back at least once.
Rgds
Billo

Grab a night at the start and end of your week when you arrive and you'll see all there is to see in Dubrovnik. As Culchie said it's good to move from it, even spin up the coast to Split, without being there you don't get the taste of Dalmatia, plus it's less crowded, cheaper and (I'm sorry for this) has a McDonalds - look, when you subsist on local stuff for days (god help me even sometimes weeks) on an end, the merest hint of such food is a delight!

There's a lot to see just over the border in Bosnia, and even in the areas around Split. Oh, and Montenegro is worth a visit, even just to see the Russian mafia at play!