Dubrovnik to Medugorie

MBoyle

Does anyone know the best way to go from Dubrovnik to Medugorie? How long does it take, does it have to be booked, are passports necessary etc.

Going to Dubrovnik at the end of the month and would like to spend a day in Medugorie.

Thanks,

J

My mother did it recently. As far as I remember it was a few hours by bus. I think she went with a group from Dubrovnik and it took a few hours including a stop half way for tea. I'm sure there are organised bus trips you can pick up in Dubrovnik.

And yes you need a passport crossing the border.

On the group she went with one person was non-EU I think and didn't have a valid visa. The whole party ended up waiting about an hour at the border waiting for the guards to make a decision. Eventually they went on without the other person. After waiting for so long they missed mass and day was pretty much ruined.

I travelled from Dubrovnik to Split by bus - you pass through Bosnia on the way, so a passpaort is needed (and they do check). And as Medugorie is in Bosnia, this also applies.

Although I have never visitied Medugorie, the bus stops in a town called Metkovic - from memory, you picked up a bus from here to Medugorie.

Yes you need passports. There are bus services to Mostar, or you can check with a local travel agency to book a day trip. It's a near 4 hour trip up to the site.

Strangely it's almost equidistant from Split to the site as it is from Dubrovnik up.

You'll need to give yourself a full day to do it. The weather will be pleasant enough but bring lots of water for the trip.

I did this journey last year as a day trip. You need your passport and it is best to book it. We booked it while in Dubrovnik the day before our day trip. There are loads of groups offering trips and they advertise along the streets so cant't miss them. The journey lasts a few hours but make sure the bus has proper air conditioning,ours didn't! The trip we did included visiting Mostar which I thought was beautiful. It was a very good day trip but do double check about the air con.

Back