Dublin to Verona

zag

Hi all,

From looking at the recent Dublin to Florence thread as well as other online research it looks like flying EI to Bologna and then bus/cab and train to Verona might be the easiest route, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for getting to Verona in the Summer.

Ideal solution would be to fly to somewhere that has a train station within easy reach of the airport and direct links to Verona. I think that Bologna is the only Northern Italian airport near a train station.

I know we can't fly direct unfortuately, so I know a bus or train is going to be required somewhere along the line. I also understand that parking (and driving) in Verona is not an easy task so I don't think hiring a car is going to be an option for me unfortunately.

Any suggestions out there ?

z

I think Milan is closer to Verona than Bologna and certainly has more flights, generally for less cost. Aer Lingus fly to two airports in Milan all year around but only fly to Bologna during the Summer. Ryanair's "Bologna" is even further away and more inconvenient.

Venice, to which Aer Lingus also fly, is also reasonably good for Verona. It's about a 30 minute bus journey from the airport to Venice itself from where you can get a direct train to Verona.

Depending on where you stay in Verona, you might have car parking. This might be useful if you're doing a lot of travelling but if Verona is your only destination, the train might be handier.

Yup - Verona is the only destination. A few nights opera, a few days sitting in cafes and we're done. All our other holidays normally involve driving the campervan around, so this time we actually want to just sit down and do nothing too taxing.

I'll have a look at the Venice option - I think I had discounted it previously because of the long transfer from the airport to the train station, but I'll check it out again and see how the door to door times work out.

I had a look at the Milan flight times and they're not great. I've had too many 0700 departures where you end up wrecked from getting up before you normally go to bed, and the rest of the flights all get in to Milan after 2000

z

Verona is about midway on the Milan-Venice train line. Fly with Ryanair to Milan Bergamo, get a taxi from the airport to the train station in Bergamo and train to Verona. You could also fly with Aer Lingus to Milan Linate airport or Venice as staples mentioned, and get the train.

Verona is about midway on the Milan-Venice train line. Fly with Ryanair to Milan Bergamo, get a taxi from the airport to the train station in Bergamo and train to Verona.

I did this trip a few years ago. To save a few €'s I'd suggest taking the bus from the airport, it terminates at the train station in Bergamo. You can buy your train tickets from machines in the station in Bergamo. They're multi-lingual too - in case your Italiano isn't the best. Bergamo is a nice city too (well the old part is anyway) it'd be worth a little look around before heading for Verona.