Dublin to Rome (December 2012)

amtc

I have a query that I wonder if someone could help me with....
my mam turns 65 this december and my nana (who is 86 and has alzheimers) and my aunt are planning to surprise her with a visit from Australia. My nana's last wish (and being realistic it is her last visit to Ireland) is to go to the Vatican. We all get on well so whereas Auntie and I can hit the bars, Nana and Mam will do the Mass thing. My aunt has found a hotel with a good deal from 27-30 dec. I reckon we'll have to go Aer Lingus as I can't figure out how Nana would cope on Ryanair (she is a wheelchair user). Checked some discount websites but they all involve transfer. My problem is that the AL fare is almost 900euro more....
Is there any point in trying a travel agent - Mam had to go to Australia urgently in April and we got a much better deal through a Travel Agent....
And I know this is risky - but in the time between checking the AL website last night and this morning, the price went down €150.It actually costs in then paying for the lounge.

The price difference is not so much if you take the 7.00 am EI flight on 27th and return on the EI evening flight. -about 300 total more than FR flights.

If you take the EI pm flight out on the 27th and the EI earlier flight home on the 30th then ,yes, the difference is enormous .But it's far better to take an early flight out and a late flight back so that you get much more time in Rome.

It would be sad to arrive on the 27th in dark and basically go straight to a hotel. Just as it would be a pity to leave early on the 30th. That'd would only give you two days in Rome yet three nights costly hotel.

So, my advice book EI.

If there are organised pilgrimage-packages at that time with Joe Walsh Tours or other pilgrimage companies I don't know. Check them out .

I must be blunt .If I was still a travel agent i would be wary of booking an 86 year old with Alzheimers on such a trip.
Remember that once you book and something happens that prevents your nana from travelling , then it is unlikely that there would be any refund for any one of you as I cannot imagine any travel insurance company covering you.
Likewise, if anything happened in Rome then ,again, I doubt that an insurance company would cover you for costs.

If you do find a deal with a company that is experienced in such travel i.e. elderly/infirm people on pilgrimages then I'd book with them. Any travel agent will tell you who is doing such tours.

But you must tell the travel agent full details of your Nana's condition.

P.S.- most of the package tour hotels in Rome tend to be small with tiny lifts.
Unless the travel agency staff is clever, knowledgeable and caring then you could end up in a hotel that is perfectly fine for 99% of guests but not for your Nana.

P.P.S. Weather can be bright,sunny, albeit cool, at that time in Rome. It can also be cold, wet and windy -a bit like today in Dublin. It gets dark ca. 6 p.m.

Thanks - when you bear in mind Nana is coming from Australia and has a doctor's letter saying she is fit to fly and insurance....I think that end is covered. Personally I think it is madness but it's all she talks about.
Thanks for your research, pretty much backs up what I thought.
BTW we found a hotel for €900 for 3 nights for 4 with a viewing platform of St Marks. Not that bad. Wheelchair room on ground floor with four rooms (as we all snore!)

+1 to what oldnick says .. By all means go for it if she has her heart set on it but be very careful on the insurance front and especially with pre-existing medical conditions ... travel insurance generally won't cover for pre-existing conditions unless disclosed before you purchase the policy and even then they may refuse or impose a surcharge. If she had some problems relating to a pre-existing condition that hadn't been disclosed when she bought the policy then the travel insurance wouldn't cover anything.

Having a doctor's letter saying she's fit to fly may be something that the airline ask for , but I don't think it will make any difference either way if there was any issue that might require travel insurance when she's abroad.

Also if she's coming from Australia is she an Irish (or other EU) passport holder or an Australian only ? - if she doesn't have an EU passport be even more careful on the insurance side of things as she won't qualify for a European Health Insurance card which would entitle her to the same care in Italy as an Italian citizen would get (it's not travel insurance as it doesn't cover things like repatriation etc. but it would be important to get if you can)

Also you mention hotel with a view balcony over St. Marks - St. Marks isn't a particularly noteworthy church in Rome ... a view of St. Peters would be more interesting .. but that looks to be 75 a room a night which is a very (almost suspiciously!) good price for Rome .. do check it out on Tripadvisor to make sure it's okay

Dual nationality so that isn't an issue....and the insurance is specifically for over 85s with existing health problems. Also checked the hotel on Trip Advisor and it has a really good rating....

As I said personally I think it is mad but it's all she talks about! Must say that in the last year we've done Ayers Rock, Malaysia, Singapore and Lourdes, so travel seems to keep the mind active!

Also if she's coming from Australia is she an Irish (or other EU) passport holder or an Australian only ? - if she doesn't have an EU passport be even more careful on the insurance side of things as she won't qualify for a European Health Insurance card which would entitle her to the same care in Italy as an Italian citizen would get (it's not travel insurance as it doesn't cover things like repatriation etc. but it would be important to get if you can)

Since she is not permanently resident in an EU state, she will not qualify for EHI... and most insurance companies will not cover people aged over 75 regardless of how good the state of their health is...

There's an insurance policy for over 85s with health problems ??!
Never knew that ,except with private health carers (VHIetc) with whom one was insured for some time beforehand - and even then there are several caveats.

Anyway, good luck. Seems to be a remarkable lady.

It's an Australian one that they had to pay an arm and a leg for, but I have it in black and white! Related to my aunt's work.
Anyway thanks for all the help!

Back