Dublin to Belfast by train, disabled facilities?

4th estate

Hi, has anyone travelled to Belfast by train as a wheelchair user, or accompanying one?

Is the Enterprise suitable for a disabled passenger? How difficult is it to board and park the chair etc?

I know I can find all this out from Irish Rail, but I would like to hear personal experiences. Travelling with a wheelchair user can be difficult at the best of times, and I don't want to make the journey any more stressful than necessary.

The circumstances of this journey for a lot of reasons mean car travel is not possible on this occasion.

Thank you.

Hi 4th Estate...

I regularly use the Enterprise (I'm a wheelchair User)...

It's advisable to contact Irish Rail Passenger Assistance in advance, so that they can arrange for there to be ramps ready for you both at Connelly, and in Belfast... The number is:01-7032634... The train has two designated spaces for wheelchair users... I've never had any difficulty travelling on the Enterprise... You'll find the staff at Connelly, and in Belfast are very friendly and eager to assist..

Hope this helps...

Enjoy your trip...

Last edited:
Thank you so much Darthvader. Can I ask if you reserved your wheelchair space online? I cannot see any such spaces on the Irish Rail reservations page.

I am a bit concerned that if I cannot reserve the required space in advance that there may not be one available on the day. How do you know you will get a space for yourself? Do you ring the number you quoted in advance?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want this trip to go as smoothly as possible. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you!

No need to apologise 4th... How are you to find these things out if you don't ask!...

I've never booked online, but when you phone, they'll ask you to be there a little bit early, and they'll get you and your companion on board before the rest of the passengers, so you'll have no bother getting into the wheelchair space... And if by chance someone HAS boarded before you, and puts their luggage into the (clearly signed) designated Wheelchair User space, the staff are very good at getting them to move it pretty quickly!...

The staff member who gets the ramp, and gets you safely on board will get onto the train with you to check all's well...

You will find the staff on the train to be VERY friendly, and helpful...

Try not to worry... I'd be sure all will be in order...

Enjoy the trip...

God bless...

Darth...

P.S. If you PM me, I can give you a name for a person at Passenger Assistance in Irish Rail...

Last edited:
Back