Dublin taxi drivers are a disgrace to the industry worldwide.

R

rabbit

Interesting comments above on taxi drivers. I also know of several continental visitors who got badly ripped off by Dublin taxi drivers when they arrived at the airport. One german woman I knew many years ago was charged £ 60 for a journey from the airport to Castleknock. She had not great English and obviously did not know Dublin. If taxi drivers rip off Dubliners like in the above posts, what do you think they do with visitors who have little English, confidence, common sense or knowledge of directions etc?

Re: Taxi scam or not? No change given.

I've been reading this thread and the common theme running thru it amounts to pure greed. They work when they want to work, if they want to take a night off its at their own discretion, so when they do go out to work they're trying to make up the time and the money they've lost. I don't know how many times I've rang our local taxi company to be told that theres very few taxis on the road because theres a match on...well for them !! You don't hear of the buses or trains being cancelled because the drivers want to see the soccer...they are providing a service aswell.

A few months back I was in casualty with a torn calf muscle, I came out on crutches and got a cab home, I was short 25 cent for the fare, I thought he tell me to forget about it. But no, he let me hobble up the drive, get into my house get his measly 25 cent and hobble back down the drive again to give it to him..

I was in town on saturday night and me and my friend were 2 hours trying to get home, at 4am in the morning, p1ssings of rain etc. (now I remember why I don't venture into town that often) I knocked on the window of a cab that was parked at the Molly Malone and he rolled down his window and said he was booked..so I said look we'll give you 20 euro each, would only cost us 15 between us normally.
I know I was wrong and I was feeding the greed, his eyes lit up but at that stage I just wanted to be on my way home.

He said ok so we got into the cab, and he rang his friend and said look I'm dropping 2 girls to Santry will you come in and wait at the Molly Malone for Brian O'Driscoll, he's in Lillies, and I'll be in big trouble if theres no one there to collect him..so his mate agreed.

so there you go, even our national rugby hero wasn't important, getting an extra 20 quid from us was though...
it was purely greedy of him but like I said we paid it just to get home.

And I'm sure Brians cab was there when he came out of Lillies..he probably didn't have to pay at all.

C.

The ripping off of foreigners happens everywhere, I know I've been charged quadruple price in Athens, in Italy, drivers have attempted to overcharge me in Milan, Rome and Napoli, however I had enough Italian to figure out what was up.
I've had my run ins with Dublin taxi drivers too, and whilst they're no angels, they're no worse than those I've come across elsewhere (although many of the cars are worse).

ci1 ye can't have it both ways. If he didn't budge and refused to give you a lift home you would have cursed him from the high heavens yet when you go waving big money in his face ye then acuse him of being greedy? Wise up - the taxi driver is only human and you would do the same in his situation. As for saying taxi drivers here are worse than anywhere else - nonsense. Give me an Irish taxi driver any day - alright they're no angels and do charge what they think they can get away with but in my experience getting taxis abroad has been much worse and at least here you get to chat to them and have a bit of craic (although maybe that's not to everyones taste!).

taxies in istanbul are 1.5 ntl to hire by the km after that. yesterday a taxi from taxim square to ataturk airport took 30 mins and the clock showed 37.10 ntl at the main terminal.I gave him 40 and he started looking for change!!(40 was mean enough but I needed a few duty free's) he genuinely wasn't expecting to keep the change. ( distance is aound 20kms and theres around 1.85 ntls to a euro) cost of living is different but it was his ungreedy attitude that was most apparant.

(40 was mean enough but I needed a few duty free's) he genuinely wasn't expecting to keep the change
Why was 40ntl mean? Would that not be the most you'd tip i.e. the loose change - maybe I'm just a mean ....... but the most I'll give a taxi driver is the shrapnel change. They are doing their job after all.

3 ntl is less than €2 for a half hour trip. I would have given the 40 even if the meter was under €35. and besides he was a nice older person who tried to speak english. I did feel a little mean.

Anyone else see this new S.I. that came in earlier this week ?

COMMISSION FOR TAXI REGULATION
S.I. No. 501 of 2006.
TAXI REGULATION ACT 2003 (SMALL PUBLIC
SERVICE VEHICLES) (LICENSING) (No. 2)
(AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 2006.
The Commissioner for Taxi Regulation has made Regulations
under the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 entitled above.
These Regulations provide clarification in relation to the
circumstances in which it is lawful to charge a booking fee in
respect of a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi service.
They provide that a booking fee may be charged where a taxi
or wheelchair accessible taxi is hailed in the street or engaged
at a taxi rank or, without having been pre-booked by the
consumer, at an airport or other transport station or terminal.
Copies can be purchased directly from the Government
Publications Office, Sun Alliance House, Molesworth Street,
Dublin 2 or by mail order from Government Publications, Postal
Trade Section, 51 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2 (Tel: 01
6476834/35/36/37; Fax: 01 6476843) or through any bookseller
and can also be viewed at www.taxiregulator.ie.

What does it mean ?

There's a misprint in the version that you copied/pasted from, olddog! It should read:
These Regulations provide clarification in relation to the circumstances in which it is lawful to charge a booking fee in respect of a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi service. They provide that a booking fee may not be charged where a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi is hailed in the street or engaged at a taxi rank or, without having been pre-booked by the consumer, at an airport or other transport station or terminal.

It basically means what it says - taxis can't charge a booking fee if you've just flagged them down or gone to the rank. Booking fees can only be charged for precisely that - pre-booking.

Someone messed up! If you look at the actual legislation (both summary and full text), it definitely has a NOT.

Back