Dublin Sport Hotel, Kiltiernan

Lollix

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know what's happening out at Kiltiernan on the site of the former Dublin Sport Hotel? (Beside the ski club of Ireland).
I was passing there the other day, hadn't been down that road in ages, and I stopped in for a look. There seems to be an apart hotel that is almost finished, plus a couple of apartment blocks and another block that might be offices. All work seems to have stopped, it looks like nobody has been there in a while.
I always thought that this was great site, and I would be surprised if they hadn't succeeded in selling the apartments in the boom times. The design has suffered a bit from an architect's obsession with wood and glass, so I wouldn't personally have bought anything there, but much worse schemes have been built and have been sold in recent years.
Anyone know what the story is?

Bit of a mystery ... developer is Hugh O'Regan of Thomas Read (pub) Group... speculation that the development includes some medical ' recuperative' facility (nursing home??) , as well as residential units.
Appears that work stopped for whatever reason for a while , but supposedly about to restart. Track record of historical owners of this site is not good ... current owner purchased by tender about 4 years ago for c 12m ... Kilternan Golf Club attempted to buy at the time to continue their tenure , which they had on annual license from previous owners, but were unsuccesful in their bid.

Thanks for that info, I was just curious. The place looks a bit sad as it is, like a great big monument to the Celtic Tiger. I hope that it gets finished and lived in, but it will be hard to sell right now. I couldn't imagine buying a property there, running the risk of living in an abandoned building. It's a pity, because the site is nice.
It's amazing how a bit oif a downturn removes confidence; a few years ago I'd have had no such concerns.

Back