Dublin postal code even/odd south/north side exceptions

ClubMan

The normal rule of thumb is that when it comes to Dublin postal codes even (including 6W) = southside, odd = northside. The exception that I know of is Dublin 8 which includes Parkgate Street (as far as Benburb Street), Conyngham Road (?) etc. and some or all of the Phoenix Park including the postal addresses (i.e. Áras an Uachtaráin, US ambassador's residence, some or all of the gate lodges etc.). Are there any other exceptions to the "rule"?

Not as far as I can [broken link removed]... but does D13 really qualify as Northside — 'spiritually'?

Nope, the blip to take in the Aras is the only exception. Wonder why they did that, the odd/even north/south divide was obviously a conscious decision...

Chapelizod straddles the Liffey, but it's all Dublin 20.

Looks like the Southsiders were trying to annexe the Phoenix Park!

DrMoriarty said:
does D13 really qualify as Northside — 'spiritually'?

You're right - feels more like Dublin 11 to me.

Well... parts of it anyway!

(A Fedex driver once told me about a Kilbarrack resident insisting she lived in Sutton).

The 'Knock', the 'Rock'*... loike, whatever, roysh?

* 'South County', of course — none of those tawdry postal codes...

If ClubMan doesn't drag this thread back on-topic soon, I'd wager CCOVICH will have us carted off to The Depths soon...

(You'd never guess I was going on AAM 'holidays' tomorrow, would you?)

DrMoriarty said:
If ClubMan doesn't drag this thread back on-topic soon, I'd wager CCOVICH will have us carted off to The Depths soon...

Perceptive as always Dr. M.

extopia said:
You're right - feels more like Dublin 11 to me.

Well... parts of it anyway!

(A Fedex driver once told me about a Kilbarrack resident insisting she lived in Sutton).

Kilbarrack is D.5 not D. 13
[broken link removed]

Lauren said:
I always thought the park was Dublin 7?
Nope - or at least not all of it is, and possibly not any of it at all.

Thanks for that link DrM.

extopia said:
Looks like the Southsiders were trying to annexe the Phoenix Park!

Didn't someone mention somewhere else sometime on AAM that the reason for this was that it wasn't deemed acceptable that the President be seen to live on the northside, so the Phoenix Park was given an even postal code?

As for making up stuff with regards to address etc, my current favourite is people living in new estates in Finglas who say that they're actually living in Glasnevin North.

Teddy M said:
What's wrong with D 13?

Nothing...I'm open to correction but I think the general gist is that us D.13rs should be honorary southsiders? ie Sutton, Howth etc is included in D.13.....

Kiddo said:
.. us D.13rs should be honorary southsiders? ie Sutton, Howth etc is included in D.13.....

As a blow-in to Dublin 13 (refugee from Dublin 3) it appears to me that there are parts of Dublin 13 that align to the DNS stereotype, as well as parts that are spiritually part of SoCoDublin. My commute by DART to Booterstown reinforces both observations.

A one-time colleague tried to argue that where I now live is not really part of Sutton. And this from someone who claimed Eannafort was in Clontarf !

Another colleague once offered his opinion that the main differences between Dubliners were, to him, those that grew up near the coast and those that didn't. I was reminded of this when we were buying our house. I instinctively did not consider anywhere more than half a mile inland. My family home was about that distance from the shore.