Dublin - Orlando July 2008

Edel V

Anybody any ideas on when I will be able to purchase Aer Lingus flights to Orlando for July 2008. Normally with Aer Lingus you can purchase flights 330 days in advance but they are currently only taking bookings for Orlando until March 2008. Am really hoping to get a good deal so want to book as soon as possible. Any ideas ?

Edel

The winter schedules run until late March and I guess Aer Lingus do not release their Summer 2008 schedules on their secondary routes until the Autumn - Orlando is a three day week service from Dublin and does not have the schedule priority that flights to the primary gateways of New York, Chicago and Los Angeles have.

They will take bookings over the phone and I would advise you do this as soon as possible after they should be released (with 330 days to go) if they are still not available online. We waited and waited for flights to appear for next April and even though they weren't bookable on line we could see the price increasing day by day. I eventually called and made a phone booking - very glad I did as they are still not available on line and the price is over €400 each way now!

Prices for July just coming online now and at roughly €3000 for 2 adults & 2 children are slightly more expensive then I had hoped. Anybody any suggestions for an alternative (cheaper) route to take ?

Edel

In regards to the most recent post you could always try flying to Newark or JFK and connect to Orlando from there. Continental uses Newark as a hub I think and it should be easy to get to FLA from there as well from Ireland (I think). If you want to the try JFK - JetBlue might be your best bet for a connecting flight.

We always fly with continental via newark. If you happen to miss your connector at ewr they will auto put you on the next flight-great airline. We took the Aer Lingus flight to Orlando about two years ago, when we arrived we had to collect our bags twice, once when we came off the flight then we had to give them back and come through customs and collect again. What was that about?
Go with continental when you arrive at MCO you will see the Aer Lingus flight just after coming in before you about 20 mins earlier+ they fly seven days a week and not just three like AL do.

Isn't the open skys agreement whereby any airline can fly back and forth from any European airport to any US airport coming into opertion in Mar 08.

It's bound to increase competition and thereby reduce prices.

Murt

i'm not sure if it would interest you or not, but I've flown out of Belfast a couple of times on charter to Orlando (ok Sanford). At the time we booked package deals that worked out good value for us, but they also sell flight only / flight and car hire packages. Both time I booked online with www.mytravel.com.
The trip up may or may not suit you, but i suppose it may be the equivalent of the time you would spend changing flight in a NY or Chicago! Of course being a charter it is limited in flying out / back once a aweek.
I believe Budget travel or Panorama also do charters from dublin.

I booked flights for 2 adults and 2 children from Dublin to Orlando via Philadelphia with US Airways for < Eur 2500. I booked it with edrems. It is for Easter next year. The same dates, direct with Aer Lingus were around Eur 4500.

Travel to Orlando regularly and have been using Continental and American Airlinlines since Aer Lingus discontinued their service a few years ago. However, now they are back I wouldn't even consider travelling with any other airline - for example I have just checked Continental Dublin/Newark/Orlando in July 2008 and prices are coming in around €820 per person - a little less if you are prepared to take 2 stops. Log on to www.kayak.com to search for all alternatives offered by all the airlines on your travel dates if you are OK with additional travelling time.

Well worth the extra to go direct, particularly with children who are so excited to get there asap. You would probably spend the difference anyway on snacks etc during the 2-3 hour connect time both ways.

You can fly in to Sanford (about 45 minutes from downtown Orlando) on a charter with American Holidays, who offer a package including accommodation. I have asked them in the past if they will do flight only (Sanford would be more suitable for me) but this wasn't available.
American Holidays, 18-19 Duke Street, Dublin 2. Tel: 01 6733840

Back