Dublin Housing Crises

I take issue with the student example for the very simple reason that students too need housing and putting them into small units houses them adequetly without taking up as much land size as would be needed for regular apartments.

If it were affordable, I would agree with you.

Purpose built student accommodation in Dublin is beyond the means of the majority, particularly for families that have more than one student attending college.

If the majority is not catered for then then this is just tipping around the edges and at the same time driving up surrounding land values affecting other residential development in the area.

Purpose built student accommodation in Dublin is beyond the means of the majority, particularly for families that have more than one student attending college.

It would be affordable if they were building more of them and if gold-plated building regulations weren't effectively forbidding developers from economising and competing on price.

Presumably one of the primary reasons that purpose built student accomodation is currently so attractive to developers is that it remains outside the RPZ regime.

In other words, this type of development is largely a by-product of the sort of Government interference in the housing market that Ms Hegarty seems to be promoting.

If the majority is not catered for then then this is just tipping around the edges and at the same time driving up surrounding land values affecting other residential development in the area.

No you are incorrect. It's clearly affordable to many. Just not affordable to everybody. There is a difference. Every student's finances are not comparabe. So you have your students who can afford this and the ones who will be bunking on couches, the ones who will do the daily compute (my nephew in someone else's car- petrol share) the ones who will do it cheaper in a house and room share (my niece) the one's who can afford student accommodidation (my niece in 1st year) etc etc. I can remember a student staying in some kind of 'structure' out the back garden about 3 decades ago. No heating, it was dire but he preferred to spend his money on weed. And then there's always the digs option, which is quite a good one for first years. But of course the little darlings all want to be in the student accommodation.

I know of one student currently paying 500 in Galway and another paying 400 in Cork. (it might be the other way around but that is what I was told and can't remember which one was more expensive). I also know it's around 7K in Edinburough for the school year in student dorms which includes meals.

At least with these schemes many are housed that wouldn't otherwise be. If we went by your idea we would get nowhere.

I see the mini Minister backtracked. She's part of the problem. Not in her back yard and damn the actual solutions to housing. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Presumably one of the primary reasons that purpose built student accomodation is currently so attractive to developers is that it remains outside the RPZ regime.

In other words, this type of development is largely a by-product of the sort of Government interference in the housing market that Ms Hegarty seems to be promoting.

That’s one way of looking at it.

@Bronte’s remarks are relevant:

Most normal landlords don't want students, plus they only rent for 7 months, another problem, plus they are notorious. So it's a good thing that dedicated accommodation suitable to their needs is being built.

Student accommodation is not currently covered by RPZs, though that may change soon, so that accommodation costs can and have been increased from €7,000 to €9,000 per annum in one year or from €5,000 to €9,000, i.e. an 80% increase over a 4-year period.

Try justifying that to students or their parents regardless of their income group.

If you had LA building inspectors and some sort of accredited builder scheme which provided confidence to buyers then perhaps it would be an interesting concept, but you don't.

You have to look at the totally of what Orla Hegarty is saying.

She is very critical of the implementation of BCAR.

This is an example.

This is an example.
Seems to be an argument for bureaucracy for the sake of it.

I read a British media piece recently that argued that their concept of the NCT (which mirrors ours) is now obsolete owing to general improvements in demand-driven vehicle efficiency and safety standards. Raise a similar point here and you'll be dismissed as a crackpot.

accommodation costs can and have been increased from €7,000 to €9,000 per annum in one year
Try justifying that to students or their parents regardless of their income group.
"Demand exceeds supply"
hqdefault.jpg

This is an example.

The totality of what she is saying is subsidized private housing. You're giving away the utility connection costs and the design costs for free and the land at a discount. There's no reference to local development of transport levies or VAT etc so one can presume those are also being given away free too.

Back