Dublin Bus - Oh the drama

i have a friend who worked in dublin for many years and he always said that one of the most dangerous people any company could employ is a unionisied dub.when they are looking for a job they know everything and once they are in all you get is excuses on way they are entitled not to do half the tasks they are given to do.

Dublin Texas. Im surprised at you using the word "congress"..??

As Mark Twain once said...
Suppose you were an idiot.And suppose your were a member of Congress.But I repeat myself...

Last edited:
Dublin Texas. Im surprised at you using the word "congress"..??

I am using it cynical or satirical, maybe I should always remark that after I use the word congress!

That is not correct the Labour Court agreement included an arrangement, where if agreement hadn't been reached localy on how drivers on each route were to be affected before Sunday's deadline, the cut was to go ahead anyway, and the arrangements negotiated later.

Hence Dublin Bus was right to ask the Driver to work according to the new schedule which he refused.

Dublin Bus

So what you are saying is that there is no need for people participating in illegal action (and their refusal to work was illegal as it was not a strike, it was a refusal to work, something that should lead to dismissal) to use intimidation because they already have created an working enviroment in which everyone knows how it works and what happens to Drivers which are doing their work despite some illegal action arround them?

Really, I think it's the opposite. Some drivers circumvented the offical process to do an illegal work stoppage und extorted an action out of Dublin Bus.

jaybird said:
Again, where is the Minister for Transport on this. Sure he does not even know what a Bus looks like as he has his offical car and driver but this is getting out of hand.
As if he has anything worthwhile to add to it.

Maybe he can get his Secretary General (another person who never uses a bus) to get her staff to finaly approve some competition and than ensure that Dublin Bus does not get to drive them out of business.

But than again, he is part of Zanu FF block, so slim chance.

I'm sorry are you disputing that millions of € have been lost to our frail economy in the last 4 days because people were unable to get to work in time or at all? Where are we that a wild action of a handfull of mad men/women can bring a large part of the city to a stand still because one driver did not like to work according to an agreement.

And can we please not forget that after lengthy discussions, both unions and management accepted a labour court recommendation.

This saved the jobs of the probationary drivers, allowed 80 senior drivers to take voluntary redundancy, and involved new work practices.

So after an agreement was accepted that saved jobs they started their wild work stoppage.

If I stop working today in a wild strike action my boss is going to call security and ask me to leave the buildings. Not so with Dublin Bus.

Don't get me wrong, Dublin Bus has done a great improvement in the last couple of years but where there is no demand for service we can't keep a service on the road to create some cushy jobs sitting in the garage hoping for work.

Some things never change e.g. the speed of light, the atomic weight of hydrogen atoms........or the unbelievable arrogance of most workers who are paid for by Joe/Josephine tax payer. CIE workers, including those in Dublin bus, have for decades held this country to ransom to advance their unreasonable, and often scandalous behaviour. If they were in the private sector, there is no way they would get away with this approach.
The job for life approach has created a 'no consequence' culture, thus, in the teeth of a savage recession, they feel free to give their fellow citizens two fingers.
It was wrong in the 1970s, it was wrong in the 1980s...and in the '90s, and in the '00s.....and will be wrong in the next 30,40....years.
It's sickening....it's immoral......it should be unlawful......shame on SIPTU and the NBRU....shame on this so called government for allowing the inmates to run the asylum.........

That's why we need competition - for bus, for Aer Rianta (or DAA as they are now known) and in other sectors where the Irish public can be held to ransom by one particular group.

Look what competition did to the cost of flying in this country. Look what competition did to the cost of intercity bus services. We need the same action with regard to city bus services.

When did we last see a strike on a national bus route?

That's why we need competition - for bus, for Aer Rianta (or DAA as they are now known) and in other sectors where the Irish public can be held to ransom by one particular group.

Bus Companies like Citylink provide a great service from Dublin to Galway and from Cork to Galway.

Aircoach provide a good service from cork to dublin.

Why no competition on city bus routes?

Bus Companies like Citylink provide a great service from Dublin to Galway and from Cork to Galway.

Aircoach provide a good service from cork to dublin.

Why no competition on city bus routes?
When Seamus Brennan was minister for transport he said that Dublin bus routes would be opened up to competition but as that upset the Unions Congress told Bertie to sack him, and he did.

When Seamus Brennan was minister for transport he said that Dublin bus routes would be opened up to competition but as that upset the Unions Congress told Bertie to sack him, and he did.
Wouldn't you know it. Wasn't it Brennan who gave Ryanair a break too? And thus we ended up with one of the biggest, and cheapest airlines in the world.

Wouldn't you know it. Wasn't it Brennan who gave Ryanair a break too? And thus we ended up with one of the biggest, and cheapest airlines in the world.

Yep, a great man. He was everything a politician should be; he should have been leader of the country. His passing is a loss not only to the government but to the nation.