Dublin airport to Dunmore East - easiest route

Bronte

Can someone tell me the easiest way by car on a Saturday from Dublin airport to Dunmore East. I've tried a couple of the international map searches. They reckon about 2 hours and 20 minutes but I did it a few years ago and it took a hell of a lot longer than that. Is their one that is specific to Ireland that takes account of all the new roads/bypasses etc.

Also does one have to go through Waterford, which I seem to remember is a bottleneck. Maybe things have changed and their is a new bridge etc or would it be better down by the coast via Wicklow/Wexford.

Finally, anywhere nice to eat for a family en route, (after leaving suburban Dublin) thinking nice restaurant/hotel, not fast food or Irish fry/cafe type places.

you'll have to go through waterford city if you either go by (a) carlow or (b) down the coast road through new ross. you can also go the coast road, then before new ross head towards the ferry in Ballyhack to Passage East, then onto Dunmore.

if its friday evening watch out for the traffic on the carlow route, that can also be a bottle neck, but they do have a new relief road which has eased it abit, for something to eat i would try the talbot hotel in carlow. great food there.

sorry i see your travelling on a saturday, it should'nt be a problem then

Getting through Carlow and Waterford city was awful when I took the same route recently. The road approaching Waterford is pretty bad as well.

I live in Dublin, originally from Waterford.

If your doing it on Saturday, I would allow just over 3 hours. You're better off heading on the M7 / M9, towards Carlow. Carlow should be ok on Saturday.You'll do Airport to Waterford City in 2.5 - 2.75 hours. Dunmore is another 20 mins outside Waterford, so just over 3 hours should do it. The last 40 miles or so of the road is crap, but not too bad.

The ferry at Ballyhack wouldn't be worth the effort, as the roads leading to it are pretty bad.

Thanks for all the replies I did it on AA .ie as the .com wanted me to download something (technophobe me) It gives 2 hours and 21 minutes but it doesn't tell me where I'll be at a certain time. It gives distance travelled but not time plus distance. Put more simply if I leave Dublin airport at 11 am will I be at the beginning of the M7, 30 minutes or 1 hour later. Based on the 2 hours 20 it doesn't seem to take account of traffic problems as the road(s) seems to go through a lot of towns/villages. Anyway I'll let ye know in July the reality on the ground and whether we ate or not.

I drive from Dublin (Castleknock) - Waterford regularly.

Approx times would be (based on a saturday morning):
Airport to Red Cow - say 25 mins
Red Cow - Carlow 80 mins (A good bit of Motorway)
Carlow - Waterford - 70 mins (worst part, road wise)

That's just under 3 hours, keeping within the speed limits.

Does nobody take the M11 route any more, i.e. via Enniscorthy and New Ross to Waterford? Even considering the bottleneck at Gorey I'd regularly make it in 2.5-3 hours.

Thanks Quinno for your 2 posts, (your original post clashed with mine), that is exactly what I wanted to know.

are you not going to thank me for my posts, i suggested a place for something to eat and Quinno didnt, your original question also asked for a place to eat, i suggested the talbot hotel in carlow, surley this also merits a thank you

Olly 64 - oh gee, I did thank everybody, (see my second post) if we get stuck in traffic we will have to stop to eat, kids don't understand wait till we get there to eat etc. My original problem was I didn't know where we'd be en route so if we arrive around lunchtimeish in Carlow, we'll check out the Talbot for sure as we have no clue about anywhere else, it's very stressfull travelling with young kids. Anyway thanks again Olly 64.

Does nobody take the M11 route any more, i.e. via Enniscorthy and New Ross to Waterford? Even considering the bottleneck at Gorey I'd regularly make it in 2.5-3 hours.

You should be able to knock some time off that from next week as the crucial section of the Gorey bypass ie the section bypassing Gorey town itself is opening on July 4th.

Seven Oaks Hotel is a nice place to eat in carlow as well, visited recently (not from area) and was very impressed.

your welcome aileen, i was only joking anyway, enjoy your trip, seven oaks is another place, might be abit more child friendly

Back