Dublin Airport Security

Tubbs

I flew from Dublin the other week and I was a bit put out that I had to take off my belt and shoes and put them through x-ray. Lots of confused tourists - mainly laughing at the idea of stripping off.

Yeah , fair enough if its for security purposes but then why have I not been asked to do this before at any other airport recently (Gatwick, Heathrow, Teesside, Bournemouth)

Does Dublin airport have inferior scanning machines to other airports ?

Or is Dublin just being more strict about security ?

I also am asked to remove coins from my pocket in Dublin but not at other airports before going through the scanner.

Just wondered why and find it slightly worrying that different airports (in different countries) implement different security measures.

I have travelled through several US airports in the last two years and had to do exactly the same thing especially in Chicago and SF.

Just wondered why and find it slightly worrying that different airports (in different countries) implement different security measures.
It's a good question but note that Dublin is not unique in terms of these strict security measures as noted above. We flew Aer Arann to Donegal a few years back and everything was scanned too in both directions. I always remove anything like belts or zipped jackets and remove keys/coins in any airport at this stage even if not asked just to avoid hassle and delay for further manual searching.

I used Dublin Airport quite recently and was glad my travel agent had forewarned me about this new policy! I couldn't believe it at the time and was quite amused myself as we queued at security. The security staff were quite good about it though and there was a bit of humourous banter as we went through the motions. I imagine that the DAA are not going to invest in new scanning machines until the proposed extension works come on stream.

You might get away with laughing with amusement at these security measures in Dublin but I would be reluctant to do so in the US where the security staff tend to lack a similar sense of humour!

My companion managed to accidentally slip a small nail scissors thro in hand luggage. Bleeper thingy went off, bag was checked but scissors had cut thro into the lining so was not visable and she was given back her bag back. She didn't realise until she looked for the scissors when we arrived at our destination what exactly had happened. Made me wonder that despite shedding our belts, shoes, etc. its still all too easy to slip something by them?

I got through with a large Stanley Knife in my handbag - security did come after me though and embarrassed the life out of me in a shop, led me back to the security area and took my handbag apart until they found it.

Shouldn't have got through in the first place though, I had about 10 minutes during which time I could have passed the knife on to someone else had I been a terrorist.

"Shouldn't have got through in the first place though"

What was the point in bringing it through in the first place?

sueellen said:
"Shouldn't have got through in the first place though"

What was the point in bringing it through in the first place?

I didn't know it was there!

I had been renovating a house and had taken a large bag with me with all my bits and pieces inside. When we went on holiday, I took the same bag as it was big enough to hold passports, tickets, wallets etc. I had taken out, I thought, all the screwdrivers, measuring tape, etc., but the knife got lost in the material folds at the bottom of the bag.

I was very lucky they didn't take any further action - I think they were embarrassed that it got past them.

Boston's Logan Airport is the same, you have to take shoes and belts off. sometimes they even tell you to take your watch off.

I didn't have to take my shoes off going from Boston to Dublin last year but I did have to going from Boston to Detroit.

have had to travel from cork to manchester a few times a year for the last few years and always had to take the belt off my pants.,... so what ?? it if stops a few dodgy people ?? just takes a few extra mins, whats the prodlem with that..

The whole thing is a farce. The system is as good as its weakest link. If one airport doesn't enforce such strict procedures than the whole thing is a farce.

I've been through airports not nearly as stringent as Dublin in the last year - where I didn't have to remove any clothes. I know this airport, so maybe al-queda does as well.

Top Tips for Terrorists:
1. Instead of going through Dublin airport security, get a flight from a lax airport. These airports will probably also serve your potential targets.

2. Can't smuggle your nail file onto the plane? - don't worry, you can buy a heavy glass bottle of booze in duty free. These can be used as a club, or smash it and bingo! - a handy improvised knife.

Wife was caught out in Boston with 2 nail scissors in hand luggage. They took one away and left her with the other one?! At the same time, they also forced our 2yo mildly autistic child through on his own. Very distressing. Also had to take him aside into their search cubicle and we weren't allowed near him.

Still though, you've got to seek some comfort from the thoroughness applied.

umop3p!sdn said:
Top Tips for Terrorists:
1. Instead of going through Dublin airport security, get a flight from a lax airport. These airports will probably also serve your potential targets.
Or get the ferry/train.

umop3p!sdn said:
Can't smuggle your nail file onto the plane? - don't worry, you can buy a heavy glass bottle of booze in duty free. These can be used as a club, or smash it and bingo! - a handy improvised knife.

Have to say that very thought struck me last night as the clink clink in JFK grew louder all the time................ seems incredible that this could undermine all the security efforts!

Roy

When my wife and I were last in Dublin Airport we were waiting at the boarding gate and were amazed to see up to 6 empty beer bottles lying around. A broken bottle must be one of the most dangerous and intimidating weapons going, I thought.

Why pick one up in boarding area when you can always order a bottle of red on the flight itself?