dublin 15 including tyrrelstown, clonee and clonsilla.

D

daisymay

myself and my partner are looking at buying a house. our budget is in or around 250,000.were looking at dublin 15 including tyrrelstown, clonee and clonsilla.We really have no idea what these areas are like.anybody have any advice?

Do some research on the areas you're interested in.My best advice would be to avoid anywhere close to public housing.I know the PC brigade don't like that but I have experience and I'm telling you this piece of advice should be heeded.

I have two friends who have houses in clonee and before they moved to there current home (both approx 3 yrs ago) a lot of the houses in the two estates (they were across the road from one another) were rented out.They are both currently renting out the houses that they used to live in there.

Clonee and Tyrellstown are full of rented properties. In my opinion the estates in Tyrellstown are a lot more attractive

Where do you work?

If relying on public transport I don't believe either Clonee or Tyrellstown are that well served by Dublin Bus.

Clonsilla is on the Maynooth and newly opened opened Dunboyne train lines as well as DB route.

If your considering Clonsilla, try to live on the 'Lucan' side of the New Ongar Road and avoid the Blanchardstown/Hartstown side. There's lots of scumbags walking through Clonsilla from Hartstown.

I've lived in both Clonee and Tyrrelstown. I think Tyrrelstown has a more 'village' feel to it which Clonee doesn't have - Clonee is much more of sprawling housing estates with no particular centre whereas Tyrrelstown seems to have had more planning put into it.

However one advantage of a sprawling housing estate is that you can walk for miles, also there are great bike paths around Clonee and Blanchardstown now. I found Tyrellstown very isolated, you can't walk or cycle anywhere from there unless you want to go to Mulhuddart or you work over in Ballycoolin.

I know a little about Dublin 15 as I have some friends who live over there, I also at one point put a deposit down on a house in Tyrellstown - about 8 years ago - but didn't go ahead with it.
I think you need to be very careful as there are alot of good, bad and ugly neighborhoods within the post code.
If I was buying there now I would look for the following:
- A development built before 1998. Alot of developments built in the last ten years were sold to investors and tend to be ageing badly. Also, alot of property in the Dublin 15 area was included in the social and affordable housing schemes, which can sometimes have its downsides.
- A development which is on / near the Maynooth train line. While the road infrastructure there has improved greatly over the years, there's still alot of bottlenecks when commuting (like everywhere).

You don't say what you're hoping to get for your budget - a house which meets the criteria above might be hard to find on your budget.
Remember there is plenty of supply out there, so bargain hard.

Best of luck!

I go with where ever had good public transport links. Traffic all around D.15 is brutal.

The new rail way station in Dunboyne is open and there is another one built in Ongar (not open yet), both easy to get to from Clonee.

Back