Dublin 1 or Drumcondra

H

Herbie81

I was wondering what people would think about buying in either Dublin 1 or drumcondra. Do you reckon that a city centre location is less sensitive for the current credit crunch? Furthermore would people go for a 2bed appartment or a house that might need some DIY (in terms of ROI).

I've been looking at Bakersyard and I'm not to sure about it at the moment. What are good area's to live in in Dublin 1 outside the IFSC?

I know the Bakers Yard area quite well. I grew up in that general area. Its close to Croke Park so that is to be considered (its inside the cordon on match days). It is of course walking distance to town, IFSC, Mater Hospital, Temple Street Hospital etc, handy enough for airport access.

It is not Drumcondra though (not sure if it is being advertised as such). In years gone by the area would have been considered fairly 'rough' although it is calmer and more settled in recent years. Bakers Yard as far as I can see is accessed through Portland Street North. There are a lot of run down houses and flats on this street and there always seem to be a lot of cars double parked here because there is a smallish car dealership on the corner with NCRd.

As to whether it retains its value, if I could tell you that with certainty, I'd be a rich woman....I would say it depends a little on who the management agent are and how well looked after the complex will be. After that its down to the economy..... If I was choosing between this development and a house in need of repair in Drumcondra, I'd go for the latter...Hope thats helpful...If you want further info, don't hesitate to PM me...

Drumcondra every time, better place to live apart altogether from the investment angle.
I notice though that sellers in Drumcondra are slow to match market realities and drop their prices, so a lot of stuff has been on the market a long time at high prices.

Back