Dubai: My thoughts

brian.mobile

We got back from Dubai. Only there 5 days.

Flight: Aer Lingus. As usual, they fail to inspire me on long haul flights but they got us and our luggage there. About 6 hours on the way out a little longer on the way back. We booked last minute-ish so paid around 700 each but the fact that we flew from Dublin is a huge bonus (you know Heathrow). Be careful if you are coming back, the flight home is at 00.30 (it ready Weds 31st 00.30 at a glance it looks like Wednesday night - it's just after midnight after Tuesday - we nearly got caught and several folks in the Airport nearly made the same mistake - be warned!

Hotel: Part A Jumeriah Bab Al Shams.

We stayed in the luxurious Jumeriah Hotels. We stayed two nights in the Jumeriah Bab Al Shams outside Dubai. This place is stunning. See their webiste: http://www.jumeirahbabalshams.com/ Smoking a sheesh while the sun goes down on the rooftop bar has to be one of the years most relaxing experiences. This place is true 5 Star. An expensive hotel, but as a treat, well worth it.

Hotel: Part B Jumeriah Beach Hotel

Remember this, there is only one place to stay in Dubai. That is the Jumeriah Beach Hotel complex - http://www.jumeirahbeachhotel.com/ - that's a fact. Dont even look elsewhere. All the rooms have sea views / overlooking the Burg Al Arab. Stunning service. 22 restaraunts, loads of bars and eateries. Several swimming pools, and the hugh Wild Wadi Waterpark. If you can swing an Executive Room, it's worth the extra few bob as you'll have a Private Pool area yourself. They'll whisk you to and from the Airport in their fleet of A8's and you'll never want to leave the place. Not a cheap hotel, but again, it's a treat

Dubai: Dont go there for Heritage. Your won't find it. Go there to be pampered and the all day sun. Personall I wasnt into Gold Souks or the Creek we preferred to twist by the swim-up pool bar and catch some rays. Get used to the Building Site line being said over and over...you can shop, Ski, take helicopter rides, boat trips, diving whatever you want; it's all there. And imortantly, all a stones throw from the Beach Hotel.

In summary: Very impressed with the Dubai Holiday Scene. We'll be back in the next year I'd say.

B

Interesting, glad you enjoyed it. Lucky you were not there when it was 50 degrees.

Yes was there recently and thought it was fantastic. Most unfortunate that Aer Lingus has decided to discontinue the service from end of March next year.

was there 18 months ago . unbelievable place . they aim to b the tourist capital of the world as well as the financial centre. wouldnt travell there in july or august though . 40 - 50 degrees

Agree that Dubai can appear impressively modern but for a slight different take on the UAE read this recent article from the International Herald Tribune
[broken link removed]. The case is getting quite a bit of attention at the moment in the French press

And for those too pressed for time to read I can give a summary – 15 year old French boy is kidnapped in Dubai, gang-raped. When his parents report the case he is threatened with one year in jail for homosexuality. After French authorities intervene action is eventually taken against his attackers.

The article notes though that foreigners are not given equality before the law with Emiratis in criminal cases.

Enjoy Dubai – with both eyes open.

have been to dubai . found it a safe place to go even at night down at the 'of the beaten track' market places. Aim to go back. every city in the world has a bad story

??? just after midnight on Tuesday is Wednesday am & 00.30 on the 24 hour clock is clearly just after midnight.

Enjoyed post though, plenty of good information.

It got us again! Fellas like you never come home with the close calls do you! ;-)

The article notes though that foreigners are not given equality before the law with Emiratis in criminal cases.

Enjoy Dubai – with both eyes open.

Agreed it's no Utopia, where is, it's got it's problems, just talk to any Indian over there...

BM

Was Mr Toad's post off topic ?

I'm not advocating the website just saying it makes interesting reading, don't read it if you don't want to !

Enjoy Dubai – with both eyes open

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean this to come across all preachy, but it has one of the worst human rights records in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates
http://www.uaeprison.com/uae_facts.htm

[broken link removed]

You could Google-up about the same stuff about virtually every other Eastern holiday hotspot...

Human Right Record for another thread, another day, once one person doesn't get caught out on that 00.30 flight, this thread has done it's business!

B

In a thread entitled "Dubai: My Thoughts" I reckon that those links are relevant. Of course if you meant your thread to only discuss some other specific issues then maybe you should have chosen a more accurate thread title?

I agree with Mr. Toad's summation to enjoy Dubai with both eyes open. It's a glittering city built on sand by slave workers who have no rights. For that matter neither do us Western foreigners (particularly women). You do not want to be at the receiving end of the law there. All those who 'own' property do so now at the whim of the Sheik who may change his mind tomorrow (and it will always be a HE in charge). All the glitters is not gold.