Dubai: Just a building site...?

brian.mobile

This keeps popping up in conversation with people....and when I mention we are thinking of heading over, people give us the 'It's nice but scenario....' not too many would go back.

I've done some research on this and it seems that as well as the building site thing, beyond 'Souks and Skiing' it's appear to be a bit, well, boring?

B

Depends what you want. Some distractions in the cool hotels, water park, snow dome and trips to the desert. Apart from that it IS a building site with cronic traffic problems (we can talk!). Shopping not as good as it should be and the place "feels" like Benidorm in the height of our summer.

I have a feeling it will be a better place to go in a few years when all is finished and the distractions list gets longer.

If you want somewhere interesting in the area try Oman. just a 30 min flight. Very interesting, surprising place without the mass development of Dubai.

I'm only back and loved it, yes its a building site, but the hotels, restaurants, service are fab, lots of sunshine! lots to do from helicopter rides, water park, dessert safari and much more we didn't have time to do. I will go back building site or not, for pure luxury alone :)

Yes just back also. A wonderful place and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. There IS a lot of construction (an incredible amount really), but if you are staying near the beach (Jumeirah) or in Bur Dubai or Deira in the city centre then it should not affect you one bit. Most of the construction is in New Dubai behind Jumeirah Beach where they are building literally tens of residential towers and (unlike here) sufficient infrastructure to go with them.

Like anywhere, there is loads to do if you want to and otherwise you can just chill on the beach. Unlike other older cities, there is not much sightseeing as nothing is really that old!!! However there are museums, a Mosque tour and walking tours for those that want a bit of culture.

The shopping is much the same as anywhere but is somewhat cheaper than here (but not as cheap as the US) although I picked up some super bargains.

I was there in April and its a place I will def be going back to. Plenty of things to do and weather is gorgeous! Great choice of restuarants and bars for night time, cheap taxis, excellent customer service wherever we went. I absolutely loved it!

Back