Dubai in October

joanmul

What opinions are there out there about a couple of weeks in Dubai in October? Is there anything to do besides be gobsmacked about the Sheiks' ideas of grandeur? I know the Dubai Classic horse race is on sometime in October - not sure when - but that's about all I know. I feel the 9 hour flight from London or wherever needs to be justified.

Shops, sun, shops, sand, shops, the odd camel here and there, GREAT architecture, friendly people.

We went in 2003 three months after Gulf War II and had a great time.

We stayed at the Taj Palace in Dubai City, one of the best hotels we have stayed in anywhere, and then the Royal Meridien Beach Resort.

No alcohol at the Taj, but plenty at the Royal M.

While in the city we twice had dinner at the "Automatic Restaurant" in Al Raqsa (?) Road. Go to the family room at the back for great food and very helpful staff.

Be careful about when you go in October as the holy month of Ramadan falls around that time this year. As far as I know It begins about Sept 15th till about Oct 15th or there abouts. Better check the dates to be 100% sure. Belive me, you do not want to be there during this time as you are not allowed to eat,drink, smoke etc in public during daylight hours. Also many of the shops,restaurants etc will be closed during the day time. Many places etc will not serve alcohol during this month also. Better check dates to be sure. And please ignore the travel agent if they tell you its not a problem...it is a big problem and very strict about it too. Being arrested for breaking the rules is not unheard of.

What Spudz says is absolutely correct - you do not want to be there during [broken link removed], which is estimated to run from 24th September to 21st October 2006.

I wouldn't go to Dubai for more than a week's holiday in any case - there's only so much to do/see there, but I suppose it depends on what kind of holiday you like and if you're a pool/beach person.

The desert trips are well worth booking - convoys of 4 x 4's drive into the desert and set up tents, BBQ, etc.

The gold souk (market) is worth a visit - gold is very cheap, although quite a lot of it is 22 carat and is very 'yellow' in colour and not normally to European taste.

If I were to book a holiday to this area, I would go for a week to Dubai and a week to Oman.

We decided that it's too limiting to go there - so we'll probably go on one of the Travel Departments trips to Italy - they have some at that time. From what I've heard from my friends they're the biz.