Drylining an Old Cottage

C

ClareMac

Hello,

I was hoping somebody could recommend a reputable company to dryline our home. We have bought an old cottage, approximately 100 years old. We experienced damp and wet walls last winter. If anybody knows of a company that will carry out a good job and are in the Meath/Dublin area, I would be very grateful.

I'd be a bit leery of drylining it before you found out why it was damp and wet inside.How are the rooms ventilated?.... sometimes in old cottages the chimney was the ventilation source and it has been blocked up.....knock a hole and put in a vent. Do you have damp coming up the walls because there is no damp proof course installed....... you can have the walls drilled near ground level and a chemical injected that will sort out this problem.Has the outside render failed or been removed?

If you dryline before you tackle the cause you can end up with a moisture problem between the drylining and the wall, mould and fungus growing...

Any competent builder can do the drylining but I think you should get a survey done by a company that specializes in damp problems.

Hi;

I am also renovating an old cottage (~200yr old) & had similar problems. The previous poster had the correct advice, you need to find the source of the damp & correct it first.
The source of my rising damp was from outside & some land drainage
around the house sorted out that problem for me. I also had to ventilate the house properly with new vents, Your best advice would be to ask a local builder to give you a quote to correct the damp 1st, he will be experienced enough to recognise the source of the problem & at least then you will know where the problem is.

Good luck

Dry lining will just (temporarily) hide the problem as previous posters have pointed out. Most likely your house has very thick walls (>2-3ft?) it would originally have been rendered both inside and out with lime plaster, (different mixes for inside than outside) which is porous. The walls would absorb moisture when it wet and release water when dry. Very often these type of walls will have been rendered outside with cement, which is non-porous. This allows moisture to build up in the wall with no way to release it.

Take a look at www.periodproperty.co.uk for plenty of useful tips.

Thank you all for all your comments. I will definitely be getting some one to check out the source before we just temporarily cover the problem up.
Thanks again

I've no connection but I would recommend Protim, there are
101 ways of looking at a damp proofing problem, get the experts
in you won't regret it. Dry-lining can wait until you get the problem
sorted out at source.

[broken link removed]

Back