Drying clothes in front garden?

On a dryer usually (one of those folding metal ones). There are a couple of them in use. This is happening in a house near me. I want to know the position before I complain to the landlord.

I doubt that it is illegal and would be very surprised (and disappointed) if we had silly laws that precluded people from doing this on their (owned or rented) private property.

Management agreements generally forbid occupiers from drying clothes on balconies etc., so if it is a privately managed estate, that may be worth looking at-but as regard local by-laws etc. I must admit that I have never heard of such a regulation.

leafs said:
Depends, are they on a line or in a dryer?

I'm not sure why this matters?

have these people no shame....

bad enough having to hang out your drawers in your back garden but the front garden is shameless

What's so shameful about knickers? Are some people really so uptight about this sort of thing? :rolleyes:

CCOVICH-'I'm not sure why this matters?' re 'Depends are they on a line or in a dryer'.

Well, if the clothes are in a dryer will they not be needing an extension lead?

At least one reference above to "drier" was to a clothes horse and not an electrical appliance!

I doubt that it is illegal and would be very surprised (and disappointed) if we had silly laws that precluded people from doing this on their (owned or rented) private property.
I second that.

And while I do think it's a tiny bit odd of people to dry clothes in the front garden if they have a back garden (for reasons of their own privacy, more than anything else), how can it be a matter of public concern or one warranting complaint?

The question was in relation to the legality of such practice, not its aesthetics.

I asked because I thought I recalled coming across something like this in the past on the Dublin City Council website. Can't find it now, and no one seems to be familiar with such a code, so I assume there was nothing to it.

I know that many landlords forbid this in their standard lease. I wonder why? And if it's not illegal, is it enforeceable under the lease agreement?

Any chance you're thinking of the [broken link removed] as applied to private property?
Litter and private property

The owner or occupier of property that can be seen from a public place, is also obliged to keep the property free of litter. This means that any outdoor area on your property visible from a public place must be kept free of litter. Failure to keep your property free of litter can result in a fine or prosecution by your local authority.
I certainly doubt that this extends to drying clothes in public.

Leases are a private contractual matter so presumably are enforceable under civil law even if certain conditions are not precluded by the general law of the land. For example a landlord may stipulate "no smoking" even though there is no law precluding somebody from doing so in their private (rented or owned) home.

Extopia, there was something like that on DCC's website and it was dicussed on AAM before but I can't find it either.

Anything ? I presume that these refer to DCC local authority housing and may not have relevance to other (e.g. private rental or owner occupied) housing?

Thanks clubman, but no, I'd checked those documents before and they don't address the issue. They are design guidelines mainly.

I
And while I do think it's a tiny bit odd of people to dry clothes in the front garden if they have a back garden

A sunny front garden and a shady back garden would be reason enough for me to not make it an odd decision...

Back