Dry Rot

Beatrix

Hi there,
Putting down a carpet on an old wooden floor that has a bit of dry rot in it. Is it absolutely necessary to treat this before the carpets go down? Carpets ordered and on their way so hoping I won't have to!
Thanks.

The ideal situation would be to fix the problem before you add anothr layer on top - effectively making the production of spores easier. Can you not defer the carpet men?

With the time and costs involved in properly treating dry rot, delaying a few carpet men would be the least of my worries.
I suppose you could just hack out the effected areas, hope it is not in the joists, saturate everything around the area in Protem (+ new boards, walls, skirting etc) replace the effected boards and lay the carpet. I have done this, including replacing a 2/3 of feet of the joists about 15 years ago, no one has put a foot through my patch job yet. Out of site is out of mind

From what I've heard dry rot can be quite serious, and disastrous if left untreated.

Get a professional (that you can trust) to have a look.

It is serious. A proper job would involve gutting at least the room (or whole house) removing the floors, stripping all the plaster off the walls, treating all with very strong chemicals (you could not live in the house while this is being done), fixing what ever caused problem in the first place (new DPC, drains etc). Then putting in a new floor, replastering, skirting, electrics, central heading etc. We had all that professionaly done to a house and after 20 years it was back. The reality is that most big old houses have some and most people just live with it.

Oh no! Didn't realise it was as serious as that. It's in a wooden floor laid directly on concrete on the ground floor of the house (we don't have any other wooden floors downstairs). The whole room has just been drylined and new skirting was put in.Patch jobs have clearly been done before (house is over 70 years old). Nearing completion of renovation. Carpets due today. Suppose other rooms could be done while we sort this out.