Dry Mix Concrete

Swoon0

A friend of mine asked me about the above, he has put posts into the ground but has no access to water at the site and was wondering if he could use a dry mix to secure the posts in the ground ? the ground is quite moist there apparentely, by a dry mix he means not adding water at time of mixing, rather letting ground moisture do the work ????

could he not just bring a few buckets of water or leave an open barrell there - at the moment it would take about 1/2 day to fill !!!

I think "dry mix" means the aggregated are already mixed (i.e. cement, sand, gravel in their proportions), or I suppose you could call it "just add water" concrete.

never heard of dry "concrete", apparently cement needs water for chemical reaction to trigger bonding.

so get busy watering or get busy ..... well, something, but not concreting !!!

p.s. they recommend shading slabs of concrete or sprinking them with water so dont dry out too fast and craic
p.p.s. too much water = weak mix, remeber its always easier to add another wee bit - cant take it out as such, need to load in more aggregates to make up for over watering it

Back