Dry Lining (ECO)

Franm

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice re dry lining and insulating part of my 70’s bungalow. There is a problem in two bedrooms with a general mouldy smell and Damp (due to condensation) in a spot on the ceiling. . The cavity was pumped by previous owner but the converted garage area was not due to it being built from breeze block. (one room being a converted garage by previous owner), My current plan is to dry line this area with eco friendly products from www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com and I was wondering if people can give me their opinion re going this way. I plan on doing the work myself. Here’s what I have in mind.

Fix 60mm of homotherm (woodfibre) insulation to the wall using a timber lat structure (put the insulation between the timber uprights).
Apply a vapour check membrane outside the insulation (called INTELLO).
Install their Sasmox plaster board over the membrane.
Remove the current ceiling and replace install the same membrane using a cross batten system (membrane will also be sealed to the wall membrane)
Install new plasterboard (also use this chance to re-do wiring)
Install 240 mm of Homotherm insulation in the attic (two layers crossed giving a total depth of insulation of 240mm).
It is my understanding that this is supposed to give me a diffusion open system, especially up through the ceiling. (or at least I think so)
A diagram of what I had in mind can be seen at http://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/products/guide/detail-h.html

I’d love to hear your comments on my plan?
Am I wasting my time? Is this way over the top?
Is there a better/alternative solution? Preferably one that doesn’t involve a bulldozer!

Thanks for your time
Fran
ps I plan on doing the rest of the bedrooms if this pilot project is a success.
pps I've enjoyed reading many of the other posts on Dry Lining, but none seem to be going down my route.

Make sure you have ventilation in the rooms. Also leave gaps at the front and rear walls when laying attic insulation to allow ventilation i.e. dont allow the insulation to come in contact with the roof felt or timbers.

Back