Drumcondra or Kimmage (Crumlin)

Teknon

Looking at a house in Blarney Park Kimmage, (although the An Post says Blarney park is in Crumlin) it's just off the top of the Sundrive Rd, Kimmage road end. Just looking for peoples opinions on the general area?

As oppose to....

A house on Hardiman Rd in Drumcondra, just off Homefarm Rd?

Which area would be considered the better area?

Really depends on what makes the house important for you - is it primarily the location or is it the house itself. If it's primarily a postal address, then Drumcondra would be perceived as a 'better' address, however if you're after a specific house type, near schools, shops, public transport, parks etc. then you need to investigate more than just the postal address.

Yes I have considered all those points, including proximity to work and investment potential. They are both stacking up evenly against each other but as I am not from Dublin originally I just wanted to know which area would be considered the better option.

Thanks for the replies, I'm liking Drumcondra the most, it always helps to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion :)

I know many area comparison posts tend to be a little subjective. But wouldn't have thought that the two locations are comparable. Drumcondra would be definitely preferable in my mind.

Houses in Hardiman Rd tend to be small. But close to good schools, reliable bus routes to city & airport, right beside Griffith Park and Botanic Gardens. Overall a quiet area but close to the city. Walking north up to Homefarm will show you many nicely refurbed semi-ds, walking south will bring you to the nice redbrick area in Iona.

My own preference would be a smaller house in the nicer area instead of vice versa. But Eithneangela's right in that it'll depend on you. But I know which I would choose :)

I would be favouring Kimmage. that part of Kimmage is across the road from Harolds Cross and similar houses sell there for quite a bit more with the 6W postcode. Kimmage is walking distance from Terenure and Rathgar where there are nice shops and restaurants. there is a good cycle track into town too, if you work in town its a great way to commute. but then its down to personal choice

I'm a d12 fan I must admit so I think I'd also go for kimmage. Ur 5 mins to harolds x terenure rathgar with all their pubs and restaurants. Sundrive park is nice as is bushy park. Drumcondra I don't know too much about - has a good name alright! Big price diff? Blarney pk is kimmage- stanaway road is the border

Blarney Park is a nice road, are you looking at the bigger 3 bed houses at the top of the road? Its close to Superquinn, there is a great deli Pickles at the end of the road and you are very close to Terenure & Rathgar for restaurants. its a handy journey into work too. I would def prefer Kimmage to Drumcondra - there is more around. but then again its down to personal preferences

I'd go for drumcondra too. I lived up the road from Sundrive until quite recently, would not be mad about the area. Why dont you put aside a few evenings to walk around the two areas and familiarise youself with the feel of the two places.

Thanks so much for all the opinions, I've decided to go with Drumcondra, have to admit that I like the fact the hse in Blarney park is so close to Harold's X & Terenure but on visiting both areas on a few evenings and during the day, Hardiman Rd seemed the quieter, no gangs of kids hanging around and equally good access to the city and I love the fact that Griffith Park is so near :)

Just as a matter of interest having lived in both areas, can I be cheeky and ask is there a price difference? are the houses comparable in terms of size and condition? tell me to get lost if you like. Am just interested as I know both areas well

I don't mind, hse in Kimmage was slighty bigger 4msq, but doesn't have much of a garden and needs slightly more work. House in Drumcondra has huge garden 100ft, needs work and was priced 10k higher than Kimmage hse.

Good choice. It was the gangs of kids that I did not like about Kimmage, slightly menacing way/feel about them at times. Good luck with the house.

Hi Op as I said people will always have their own opinions on this kind of issue. The best way to decide is to actually spend time there yourself. Renting nearby is the best solution but visiting often at different times of day is the next best thing.

One point to consider is that Hardiman Rd is closer to the Glasnevin/Upper Drumcondra area. This might have some effect on school catchment areas. It's pretty different from Lwr Drumcondra. A variety of new cafes, delis and pubs have opened there recently. This is partly due to a greater mix of young families and older residents.

Another important thing you should read about is that several of the alternative Metro North routes will travel near or under Hardiman Rd. See dublinmetronorth.ie for maps. This has good/bad consequences based on the house location. You might find that tunnelling will take place under the house. But you also might find that some day soon you are close to a metro stop which would bring you into the city in less than 5 minutes. With our current finances this may never happen. But worth investigating.

Thanks again everyone

Noel C, good points, the Metro North route was one of the draws to Drumcondra but I will be keeping my fingers crossed the route doesn't go under or too near my house.

:)

Thanks again everyone

Noel C, good points, the Metro North route was one of the draws to Drumcondra but I will be keeping my fingers crossed the route doesn't go under or too near my house.

:)

Or you could check the maps here and find out: [broken link removed]

Best of luck!

Back