drug finds/busts

viztopia

is it meor does anyone else think that there have been a lot of drug busts lately? i know this may be only the tip of the iceberg but its nearly in every days news!!

is it meor does anyone else think that there have been a lot of drug busts lately? i know this may be only the tip of the iceberg but its nearly in every days news!!

Yes, there has been a lot in the news. But it is only the tip of the iceberg.

From leglislation http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1960/en/si/0203.html (I don't know if this has been amended by subsequent leglislation)

(2) A proportion of vacancies in the rank of Sergeant, not exceeding twenty-five per cent., may be filled by the promotion of Guards who have shown special zeal and ability in the performance of their duties, notwithstanding that they may not have passed the Class III Promotion Examinations or the Irish Proficiency Test.

Zeal may mean concentration on headline grabbing crimes rather than house break-ins, criminal damage, anti social etc.

Is it a case of good intelligence finding the drugs or a case of simply falling over them as they are so plentiful?

Is it a case of good intelligence finding the drugs or a case of simply falling over them as they are so plentiful?

There might also be a case of the lack of intelligence on the part of those getting caught - perhaps too many using their own product.

There might also be a case of the lack of intelligence on the part of those getting caught - perhaps too many using their own product.

I did have to laugh at the recent case in the news where they were caught because some idiot put petrol in the diesal tank of the boat they were using to collect the loot. I mean - how dumb can you get? I understand it happens from time to time, but if you were collecting a large drugs stash surely you'd make sure the boat had the correct fuel!!!

The fact that these guys were caught because of their own ineptitude didn't stop the gardai blowing their horns about their great intelligence work. I know there was a lot of work putting the case together but I am a bit tired of gardai pr about the fact that they are doing their job.