Dropping out of College after 1 year and options

dodo

If someone does 1 year of a 4 course they got accepted into via the LC points system and decide they want to put collage eon hold for eg 5 years. The fees are the usual 3K per year.
If someone was to go back and try do degree course that eg costs the 3K today via the LC points system what would they be paying. Just trying to give someone the full facts of what is at stake if they drop out and plan to do later in the future. Taking that the person would be working at the time,

They can't get free fees for another year of study at the same level. This is whether they repeat the year, or change to a different course. However, if they formally withdraw from their course before the half way point, then they'll only have to pay fees for half of their first year in new course. I believe that date is 31st January, so they'd need to act quickly.

There are some exceptions, such as certified illnesses.

Hopefully someone will have a better link than the following, which doesn't seem to be as clear as it should:

I'd suggest contacting the students union, or the admissions office of the college, as they'd have the relevant information.

Hope this is of assistance... I did similar 20 years ago. Dropped out after 1 year, worked, then went back to do a different degree. Had to pay full fees for year one of the second course but after that I was back to only paying registration fees.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that down the road if they want to go back to college part time and remain working, "free fees" don't apply to part time courses.

In some cases students are too embarrassed to speak to the college as RedOnion suggests, they just want out. But its really important they do, having worked in the area, Admissions officer/SU are really good about trying to help students in this situation. And its a valuable life lesson to speak to someone in the know when you might feel you're failing

If they're talking about waiting 5 years then presumably they'd be regarded as a mature student and different qualifying criteria might apply?

Back