Drop the land line?

PetPal

I wanted to try and save on my phone bill which is heavy on the basic/rental charge, and light enough on calls. I'm actually considering dropping the landline altogether, bearing in mind that I have the mobile and email and I can keep in touch that way. Has anybody else dropped their landline and, if so, do you regret it?

we got rid of landline about 8 months ago and dont miss it at all, got fed up with getting high phone bills mostly from calls to mobiles,

When we moved into our house, we never got around to contacting Eircom.

We discovered we didn't need it at all, as we both use our mobiles.
We have wireless broadband so that wasn't a factor either!

So in answer to your question, do we miss the landline.. nopes!!

I have the mobile so why would i bother with a landline as well? The eircom guy called round a year or so ago and asked why my landline wasnt connected and did i want it to be. I asked him why would i want it? Madness in this day and age. Its all down to circumstance i'd say. Only you really know if you need 2 phones.

Makes sense if you have access to an alternative broadband provider (eg Wireless, NTL, Satellite) - presumably you need b/b for e-mail etc. ?

But if you need the eircom copper for b/b you're snookered ........

Thanks everybody. It's actually the rental and VAT charges that we want to save on. The calls don't cost us a lot anyway, and we can use the mobiles for those. For example, the last bill was for 91.46. Not huge I know, but included in that is only 29.33 of calls! The rest is rental and VAT. So basically we wasted about 60 euro in that period alone. We're paying rental and VAT for really no great reason.

The one thing that has put me off cancelling the land line to-date is that my husband is English and makes a call once a week, or once a fortnight, back home. Presumably this would be very costly on the mobile? Nevertheless I'll seriously consider dropping the land line.

Thanks again.

What are the alternatives if you have eircom phonewatch and broadband and rely on the phoneline.

As others here, I dropped the landline about two years ago. don't miss it at all and has the added benefit of no cold calling/surveys calling/nusience calling. Anybody I want to talk to has my mobile number.

Re: Hubby calls. You will save what he would spend if he was a bit creative. An UK mobile? Skype? Call cards?

The one thing that has put me off cancelling the land line to-date is that my husband is English and makes a call once a week, or once a fortnight, back home. Presumably this would be very costly on the mobile?

Costs me 50c a minute on Meteor to call a landline in Scotland. No idea if that's the best deal for mobile to UK calls, but it's certainly bearable.

Costs me 50c a minute on Meteor to call a landline in Scotland. No idea if that's the best deal for mobile to UK calls, but it's certainly bearable.
Why not try [broken link removed] ? There's a long thread about them somewhere.

As others here, I dropped the landline about two years ago. don't miss it at all and has the added benefit of no cold calling/surveys calling/nusience calling. Anybody I want to talk to has my mobile number.

Re: Hubby calls. You will save what he would spend if he was a bit creative. An UK mobile? Skype? Call cards?

3G phone with Skype?

We dropped the landline last month and use NTL now.
We use VOIPbuster Phone2phone for international USA and UK - 5c connection and stay on as long as you like.
'Voipbuster.com'

We dropped the landline last month and use NTL now.
We use VOIPbuster Phone2phone for international USA and UK - 5c connection and stay on as long as you like.
'Voipbuster.com'

Did you get the new NTL phone service- how do you find it- they keep ringing me about it but I say their prices to OZ are too expensive!

Which provider are you with and do you also pay for a broadband or internet connection?
Seeing as your husband rings the UK on a regular basis why not consider BT. I have a package with them that's 45 euro a month. This includes my line rental, broadband and any time calls to Irish and UK landlines up to 60 minutes in length. My family are all in the country and I have a sister in the UK and find it great to contact them.
The bill arrives bi monthly and it's rarely over the 90 euro. (the odd exception is when I need to ring a mobile)

Which provider are you with and do you also pay for a broadband or internet connection?
Seeing as your husband rings the UK on a regular basis why not consider BT. I have a package with them that's 45 euro a month. This includes my line rental, broadband and any time calls to Irish and UK landlines up to 60 minutes in length. My family are all in the country and I have a sister in the UK and find it great to contact them.
The bill arrives bi monthly and it's rarely over the 90 euro. (the odd exception is when I need to ring a mobile)

Hi, we're with Eircom and we also have broadband (Irish Broadband) at 48 Euro per month. I will certainly look at BT, thanks.

I'm just wondering if anyone could let me know, can you get Sky Multi-room installed without a land line ?

I'll second the 13434 route.

I'm on a vodafone package where I often have some free minutes left, I call the 01- no. for 13434, which as I've free minutes doesn't cost me, then it's 5c to connect to a uk landline, and stay on as long as you like.

Just keep an eye on your mobile provider free minutes..

ps: I've tried blueface before as well, and no problems, it's just a little dearer for my destinations.
One other difference, blueface is prepay, say 10 or 20 credit, whereas with call13434 it's postpay, you enter a credit card no.

Back