Dromahair, Co. Leitrim

ndp

Does anybody know what Dromahair is like as a place to live? Is it overdeveloped? How long does it take to get to Sligo?

Thanks for any replies.

In my opinion Dromahair is too overdeveloped. It was just a small village but recently large housing estates (one in particular) more appropriate to suburban areas have been developed. There's not a lot in the village. The main reason for the development is because it is in Co Leitrim it was included in the rural renewal scheme giving generous tax breaks. These were not available in Co Sligo so developers were attracted to the area. Now it has become a commuter town for Sligo.

If I remember right, the road between Dromahair and Sligo is extremely bad and twisty. Hence the average speed of 24 mph.

You have to take that 24mph in context (even thought 40-50mph is more realistic)..... you are driving through lovely scenery and the shores of Lough Gill.

After spending many hours (wasted) sitting on my ass on the M50, 20 mins is nothing.

Dromahair is a lovely village.

Agree Dromahair has been over-developed. Building work has stopped on at least one development and a few other developments have been unable to sell their last remaining houses (they are now being rented out). But its only a small village which doesn't have the facilities needed for the scale of development seen here in recent years - it has a lot of housing, but not a lot else. On the plus side its in a lovely scenic area, still retains a nice small-town country atmosphere and its only a 20 min drive to Sligo.

I have been living in Dromahair for almost 2 years. I love it. It takes me 20 pleasant mins. to get to Sligo, and I'm no speed freak. The village here has nice pubs, a hotel, a great restaurant, 2 take-aways, a chemist, 2 hair-dressers, 3 grocery shops, petrol pumps (old fashioned - they don't sell cat-food, but fill your car for you) and a great school. Plans are afoot for a new hotel with leisure centre. For everything else you go to Sligo. Yes, there seem to be more houses than we currently need, but its not Birmingham.

I have to agree with the last post. Yes, there has definitely been some development in Dromahaire recently that could have done with 30% less houses in it (namely the Stonebridge development), but other estates have sold much better because they are more spacious. The population has changed due to the rural development scheme, with more buyers from Sligo settling out here. Even though it has some downsides, I think that overall Dromahaire is a fantastic place to live. if you end up commuting to Sligo you can rest assured that by the time you have driven past beautiful Lough Gill on the way home from work you will have forgotten all about your stressful day. The recent expansion of two grocery shops as well as all the other amenities already listed offer everything you need and the influx of new residents has certainly brought a new vibrancy to the place. I would recommend you check it out.

I have to agree with the last post. Yes, there has definitely been some development in Dromahaire recently that could have done with 30% less houses in it (namely the Stonebridge development), but other estates have sold much better because they are more spacious. The population has changed due to the rural development scheme, with more buyers from Sligo settling out here. Even though it has some downsides, I think that overall Dromahaire is a fantastic place to live. if you end up commuting to Sligo you can rest assured that by the time you have driven past beautiful Lough Gill on the way home from work you will have forgotten all about your stressful day. The recent expansion of two grocery shops as well as all the other amenities already listed offer everything you need and the influx of new residents has certainly brought a new vibrancy to the place. I would recommend you check it out.
P.S. We have been living in Dublin for the past 15 years but have recently bought a house in the village and will hopefully be relocating soon.