Dromahair, Co. Leitrim

ndp

Anyone know anything about Dromahair as a place to live. Thinking of relocating there with my family.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Check out the forum on Cavan/Leitrim as Dromahir is mentioned a few times in it. Lots of useful information on Leitrim in general that might help you. Also, have you checked out the website on moving to the West? It is http://www.lookwest.ie (www.lookwest.ie) and has a lot of useful information in it. Also might be able to help you. They specialize in helping families with young children make the move from Dublin to the West. Even though I am moving from the States back to Ireland I emailed them and they are sending me some information. Hope this helps.

Pros:
Great location being just 12 miles from Sligo Town.
Beautiful, scenic spot with forest walks, fishing, Lough Gill etc. on your doorstep.
Still has a closeknit community feel where neighbours still look out for each other.
Has a primary school in the village and a local GAA club for kids.
Has 3 small shops, a chemist (recently opened), 1 hotel, 4 pubs and 2 recently opened takeaways.
I would consider it a very safe place to raise children. I can't think of any more facilities for kids, but I believe a local playground is in the pipeline.

Cons:
Rapid housing development has taken place in the past few years, but Dromahair is still essentially a village, without adequate facilities & services for such an increase in its population (e.g. has no supermarket -you would have to go to Sligo for main grocery shop).
Very poor public transport links to Sligo Town (only one bus a day to Sligo, I think).
No secondary school. You would have to travel to Sligo or neighbouring towns.
Its rural and can be quiet ..... if you live in the country already you will be used to that, but if you're relocating from somewhere like Dublin you'd find it a BIG change.
It has a couple of Boy Racers (but I guess you get them everywhere now!). Other than that, there is no trouble.

Hope this helps, Crazy.

Back