Driving to Falcarragh Donegal

TomTomOne

Hi,

I'm a newish driver and am planning to drive from Dublin to Falcarragh in Donegal. I am planning on going to Lifford and then on to Leterkenny. Then on to Creslough, Dunfanaghy then along the north coast on the N56 to Falcarragh.

My question is what is this route like, the Donegal bit especially? Are the roads narrow or is it mountainous? Is the route ok for a reasonably new driver? Or is there a better way?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tom

the route you plan to take is the best one the road is fine as far as lifford. from lifford to lk is a twisty enough section and care should be taken but its only a 15 min run. from lk to falcarragh the roads aren't great but it should only take about 40 mins

If you can do Letterkenny to Falcarragh in daylight, all the better. The roads in Donegal aren't always the best for an inexperienced driver in the dark.

Yes the route you are taking is fine, there is no alternative actually but the Donegal roads are twisty but not too bad. As advised above travel in daylight, take your time and enjoy the drive, the scenery when you get there will be worth the journey.

For the Dublin Lifford leg, I suggest taking the M1 past Drogheda, then take the exit for Ardee. At Ardee, take the exit to head for Monaghan, then onward to Aughnacloy, Omagh, Strabane, Lifford.

Yes, you wouldn't really take any other route from Dublin to Lifford.

Follow the signs for Derry until Lifford.