Driving test question

blueshoes

hi.

i have my driving test on friday and i am just wondering what is the age that a child can sit in the front seat of a car? i thought it was 17 but my mum says its 18 and another friend says its 12. anyone? also any tips im very nervous!

Relax and look into mirrors before and after you do anything. Make sure you slow/cover brake if you see kids running/playing with balls etc. Be careful driving along a row of parked cars - try and look as though you expect someone to open a door suddenly.

Do you not have a copy of the rules of the road to check these things up and to study before the test? That would seem to me to be a better way to prepare than wondering of others know the right answer.

This is what it says in the ROTR as reprinted on [broken link removed]

As for the test, as well as the usual, stay calm, watch your road position, use your mirrors effectively, don't panic if you make a mistake, it may not be that bad, I would say, be sure you know where everything is under the bonnet, they will ask you some basic questions such as how would you check oil levals, where would you put in window wash and so on, you don't want to be getting into the car feeling like you got something wrong even before you turn the key!

Best of Luck, remember, it's only 40 minutes of your life

I would recommend you go to Eason's and buy a CD-ROM called The Official Driver Theory Test. It "contains every question you may be asked" according to the blurb on the cover. Costs about €20.

My better-half found it very useful and in fact scored 40/40 on her theory test! ...(of course now I have to put with a know-it-all every time I sit behind the wheel!)

Yes but that Cd is no use if it's the actual driving test thats on tomorrow.

have you got a pre-test booked?

hi guys tanx for replies. i could not find it in the rules of road book. that book is so out of date it is useless.

anyway im glad to say i passed and he didnt ask me that question

thanks again
blue

Well done. Maybe avoid carrying any children in the front until you do find the answer to that question though?

hi clubman

dont worry my kids would never be allowed travel in front seat of a car always in the back in there own car seat.

im so delighted i passed. the test isnt as hard as everyone makes it out to be. its just knowing how to be a good driver.

Yeah - maybe I'll do it myself one day. Of course I'll know everything in advance but still probably fail! My mother started driving c. age 60 and (much to my father's surprise and, I'd say, chagrin) she passed her test first time. I still have a few years so... But seriously - well done.

thanks john. december what did you fail on or did he and she tell you? i honestly thought i had failed because i had made a mess of my 3 point turn, your allowed make 8mistakes (i think!!) guards actually stopped me today and for the 1st time ever asked for my licience, i showed them my certificate and they never said a thing to me. this was at 7.00 this mornin. they prob thought i was drunk but i wasnt on way to start digging my garden up!

Position in the road and observation when making a right turn - which were not the things I was worried about at all (obviously) It must be a great feeling to have it now.