Driving Test in Northern Ireland

Northerngirl

Does anyone know if the driving test in Northern Ireland can be taken in a southern registered, taxed and insured car? Current waiting time in Dundalk is 6-months minimum for a cancellation, and a few weeks in the North?!

Do you have a NI provision driving licence, or an address in the North? If so, I don't think it matter's where the car is from

I think you have to be living in the North in order for the DVLNI to issue with a NI provisional licence, as I don't think there is an agreement between the North & South yet (hence NI drivers can't get penalty points in the Republic, and vice versa)

I did my driving test in Belfast 10 years ago. The registration of the car I don't think matters but you must have proof of insurance and it could be the case that they would only accept insurance from a UK company (which you can get on your Southern Ireland car).

Also you must hold a UK/Northern Ireland provisional licence which as the previous poster stated, will be only be issued if you have been living at a Northern Ireland address for a minimum of 6 months.

Thanks for that. I already have a NI provisional license, with parents address on it and have passed theory test, but dont know if driving tester would be happy to test me in Dublin reg car, taxed in south, etc;...

You could look around the local area to see if there is a driving instructor with a similiar make/model of car. Take a lesson or two in it and I'm sure they'd have no problem in you sitting the test in it (while paying for the privilidge of course).... if that might save some of the worries.

It is actually quite commonplace in the North for driving instructers to allow you to use their car for the test. You will have to pay them a fee though which often includes a pre-test lesson as well. Cost me £35 ten years ago; I am sure it would be much more expensive now.