Driving School

No offence but many people would tend to treat anonymous recommendations from unregistered/unknown users with a degree of caution.

I'll vouch for them

Whatever the credibility of the first post, I did a 6-day course with them a fortnight ago and passed my test, on my first attempt, this morning.

I was a very inexperienced novice (i.e. I couldn't drive for nuts). Doing the course got me from this stage to being able to go out and drive. Passing the test was a bonus for me.

Re: I'll vouch for them

"Whatever the credibility of the first post...."

So the credibility of an unregistered user is enhanced by the endorsement of a first time poster?

I think I'm with 0 on this.

Re: I'll vouch for them

But why wait two weeks for the second post, to give the impression that the second person was just finishing the course and also got a good result.

Don;t tend to agree, someone is making a recommendation, and someone else backed it up, seems fair enough to me?

if the mods think it was advertising, shouldn't it just be deleted.

What else can I do?

I have no vested interest whatsoever in the school. I don't know who posted the original message. I just wanted to put in my two cents worth, as I felt that the doubt that was cast on the validity of the first post reflected badly on a business that has served me well.

I can't do much about the fact that that was my first post here - I've been a lurker for a while and have found the forum very helpful. This was the first topic about which I felt I could contribute knowledgably.

If a moderator wishes to contact me privately to convince themselves of my bona fides, that's fine. Other than that, I don't really know what I can do. I don't particularly want my first post here to remain associated with insinuations of deception or dishonesty.

Re: What else can I do?

I think I'm with 0 on this.

Just to clarify - I was merely pointing out, in response to the original anonymous recommendation, that people might want to be careful when acting on such recommendations which MAY be less trustworthy than those from registered and regular contributors. That's not to say that they, or any follow ups, are ALWAYS untrustworthy, necessarily spam or otherwise posted by vested interests. Hope that's clear and that my caveat was posted in good faith...

Re: Clarifications, credibility and all that

Hope that's clear and that my caveat was posted in good faith...
Absolutely no problem with that.

Anyone with a bit of savvy should know not to take unknown third-party reviews as absolute gospel, no matter what the product or service, and no matter what the location of the review. It is up to the reader to make a judgement call as to the credibility of the review, do their own research and act accordingly. The same applies to reviews on amazon.co.uk, music123.com, and so on.

In posting my contribution, I wasn't, as far as I can see, doing anything different to anyone else who has posted comments on any product or service, here or on any other site. That's why I have to say that I'm a bit irked at the "aha, gotcha!" tone of oysterman's post. I believe it wasn't a helpful post to anyone, and it was discourteous to me. I should have been given the benefit of the doubt and readers should be let make up their own minds.

Anyway, feck this moral high ground lark - I'm off for a much-deserved pint (and a taxi home).

driving test

Hi POBHD28,

Just been on that website, quick question in relation to the driving test, do they arrange for you to sit your driving test straight after the course finishes, or do you have to go through the crap with the crowd in Ballina?

Test

Sadly you have to wait in line with everyone else, 28 weeks I think it is now. I woulmd have passed my test after the course, but as it is I'm taking lessones here in Dublin occasionaly to keep me sharp.

driving test

Hmm thought as much, not going through that one again in this country, done it twice in Orwell Road test centre, failed both times, first time I can hold my hand up and say fair play as for the second time, utter waste of time and money, guy had me failed before I had left the carpark!! Didn't like the fact I was using driving school car, didn't like the fact I had a window open, didn't like the fact the instructors mirror was still up on the passenger side. Gave me three ticks on the last 100 yards on the way back to the test centre while sitting in traffic waiting for the traffic lights!! Best of luck to you!

Re: Test

Apparently, when the business was set up, they hoped to be in a position to schedule so that the test came right at the end of the course. However, the recent escalation of the waiting lists has put paid to that.

I got notification of my test date around a month in advance. (I'm in Galway - not sure if this is the standard kind of advance warning throughout the country.) I had heard about the existence of the school but didn't know anything about them. I immediately sent them a couple of e-mails and phoned them to try and suss them out, and to see if they could fit me in before the test. There was one week available so I decided to take the chance on it, and I'm glad I did. It meant I finished the course with just under a fortnight to go before the test. I used the spare couple of weeks to do as much practise as I could, and got a couple of lessons from a local instructor, just to cover the Galway routes.

I got pretty lucky with the timing. Even if I had a longer wait to do the test after finishing the course, it would still have been worthwhile for me to do it, as it got me up and driving.

Test

Billie

Where ARE you going to do the test?

An alternative is to apply for the test for the Carrick route, then the week before you do it it take lessons down there with this crowd. just a suggestion, it didn;t suit me to do it but it was an option.

driving test

Done the test in the Rathgar twice, don't recommend it at all, failure rate of 48.1 and 51 weeks to wait for the privilege of doing it!! Unfortunately the location of the other place doesn't suit. Oh well, maybe Seamus Brennan will get his act together before he is kicked out!!

Back