Driving licence query

STEINER

Hi, I am on my 2nd provisional licence and it expires in December 2011. My first one expired in 1994 and I never bothered to drive after that until Jan 2010 and I was learning to drive ok then. I became seriously ill soon after jan 2010 and basically havn't been able to drive since, but I will be able to resume learning/driving in a few months. So, for 90% of my 2nd provisional licence/learner permit I was physically unable to drive. Obviously I need a third licence/permit soon, but do I have to take a driving test? there would be no point really as I couldn't do the test, I'd just have to tell the tester I am not doing it, just fail me straight off.

yes you will have to apply for your test before they will give you a third provisional licence.

It will be necessary for you to apply for the test and they will grant you a permit for 1 year. You can ring them and making sure that you give them 10 days notice of cancellation. They used to hold this to your credit for use at a later stage but you can check this out with them.

Taken from here:

'Since the commencement of the Driver Theory Testing Service in 2001, a theory test certificate must be obtained before a first learner permit is granted. You may not apply for a third or subsequent learner permit unless you can provide evidence that you have:

• Undergone a driving test in the two-year period prior to the application (a two-year learner permit will be granted)
Or

• Evidence of a forthcoming test date (a one-year learner permit will be granted)
If your provisional driving licence expired 5 years ago, then you must undergo a theory test before a learner permit will be issued'

Back