Driving lessons

well thats an attitude within the industry that has to change and i agree with all you have said. If i was allowed by law i'd have lessons on motorway driving.

I think its attitude like teaching outside the typical box that can give me an edge over other insturctors, plus i believe in it.

does anyone know anything about the courses you do when you have your full licence, how long do they last and how much do htye cost

Could be a lot of answers to that. Hibernian insurance for one, and a couple of other insurance companies, do a one day course which they then knock your insurance down for doing.

But theres also advanced driving courses you can do with schools etc which have different levels of awards.

So basically your answer is a question. How long do you WANT to spend on them And im sure there is a course that lenght.

Try asking on the forum at the address below as the moderator of that forum has several such qualifications....

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1

Ron, i understand what you're saying about driving for life BUT the people who are paying you to teach them are only doing so in order to pass the test. Its almost like teaching you extra maths for an exam thats just not necessary in order to "pass". And don't forget, the longer they are paying you, the more money comes out of their pocket and people are getting tighter and tighter by the day what with all the increases in living expenses. I wouldn't take it personally if i were an instructor and was told to "just do the curriculum". Its a very valid point you make but time is money blah blah blah. I wish when i learned to drive i had someone like that who gave the "bigger picture".

i see that, but thats the attitude that has to change in society, i'd gladly spend 15 mins extra doing the parking. Its a basic and must needed skill of driving.

I was the same while learning myself ( only want i need to know ) but as you get older and see more you realise the importance of these basic skills and that is why certain motoring lobby groups are pushing for this in the new test when it comes.

Also with students having X lessons and the idea of driving out of the test centre after you fail is the best i've ever heard. as the saying goes......only in Ireland.

Dont feel bad if you have only done 7 lessons - 7 hours in a car is very little really.
I did about 50 lessons - I wanted to learn the correct way to do everything and didnt want to pick up the bad habits that people seem to get when they practise driving on their own - so I only did lessons with an instructor.
It was a very relaxed way to do it - we spent entire lessons on parallel parking, reversing around corners etc, and now I see I'm more more proficient in these things than my friends, and also never do their bad habits of coasting down through gears with the clutch in, crossing hands on the steering wheel etc.

The craziest thing is that the driving test seem to be the pinnacle of motor handling in Ireland, and its all downhill from there...
Crazier when you consider that at that high level of 'competence' we still have phenomenal failure rates!

As an aside, are there any driving schools that teach you to drive in a safe place away from other motorists.

It does my head in that I would learn to drive on the road.. as I would consider myself a significant danger to the other motorists !

Ontour, the whole objective of driving instruction is to prepare you for real road conditions. Real road conditions in the RoI include the 418 arrested for drunken driving over the bank holiday weekend, includes those who killed the 5 people on the roads this weekend (a few months ago there were 6 fatalities on Irish roads in one weekend). Real road conditions include the statistic that Irish roads are the most hazardous in the entire EU. Real road conditions include those drivers referred to above, who care nothing about the safety of others or about the law but "just want to pass the test". Hazardous driving-conditions come from ignorance. Ensure your own safety and that of others by getting the best and longest instruction you can manage; expense doesn't come into it! As a guide you need one lesson for every year of your life + six additional for proficiency (so if you're 22, that's a total of 28 lessons; if you're 30 that's 36 lessons). No - driving schools are not "money-making rackets"; they teach people driving skills which include rules of the road and exercise of judgement. I have no vested interest in driving instruction establishments, just feel strongly as a road user whose life and limb can be jeopardised or lost by irresponsible or dangerous drivers.

HI
Im planning on doing some pretests at the minute for finglas ,, does anyone know the route.?

i got a lad to do my lessons with and i passed my 1st go in fronthill i can send you on his number if you would like

Re: Driving lessons Finglas

I used ISM for driving lessons in Finglas. They are at the test centre in Jameston Business Park. Passed first go