Driving in Scotland/passports?

Attica

Sister and self driving from Dublin to Scottish Highlands in September. Do we both need passports? P & O ferry website indicates passport needed on travel outside UK - going Larne to Troon. I have mine but hers is out of date, she could bring driving licence.

Sister and self driving from Dublin to Scottish Highlands in September...
Just be careful on this trip. At some stage I believe access to a ship of some kind will be useful.
... Do we both need passports? ...
I believe so unless you are conjoined siamese twins.
... P & O ferry website indicates passport needed on travel outside UK - going Larne to Troon. ...
As you are travelling via Dublin, which I think is still outside the UK, passports are indicated.
...I have mine but hers is out of date, she could bring driving licence. ...
Yes.

Read the FAQs here: [broken link removed]

QUESTION:Do I need a passport to enter Republic of Ireland from the Great Britain?
ANSWER: Photgraphic identification must be carried by all passengers and shown when required when travelling on the Dublin - Liverpool route.

QUESTION:Will I need a passport if travelling on a P&O Irish Sea route?
ANSWER:A full 10 year passport, valid beyond the date of your return, is required for all trips to Europe.

Travelled from Belfast to Stranraer earlier this year & wasnt asked for anything other than my ticket (internet booking).
We did have passports just in case though.

And I dont think theres any need for smart answers when someone is asking for advice.

I use this route a few times a years and have never been asked for id.
They randomly check cars at port but since it's NI-Scotland the don't check passports.
I think if you are a EU citizens photo id is all that is required for travelling in Europe.

Have a look at the airline websites,photo id is all that is required for flying from Ireland to UK,Ryanair don't charge for looking at their site. (yet)

Have a look at the airline websites,photo id is all that is required for flying from Ireland to UK,Ryanair don't charge for looking at their site. (yet)

I flew to Scotland with Ryanair last week and I had to have a passport, nothing else was acceptable, not even a driving licence.

I believe photo ID such as driving licence is acceptable when travelling by boat but wouldn't state that as fact as I don't know for sure.

I stand corrected.
UK and Ireland opted out of the "Schengen Rules" (open borders)
Most airlines do require a valid passport.(sorry)
Photo Id is all that is required on the Dublin-Liverpool crossing,so logic would sugest that all thats required on the Larne-Troon crossing.

"A passport for all passengers (including children and infants), valid beyond the date of return, is required for all trips outside the United Kingdom. Photographic identification must be carried and shown when required for all trips between Dublin and Liverpool."

As the OP is travelling Larne - Troon, they are not taking a trip outside the UK (ancient political arguments aside!), so passports shouldn't be necessary.

Answers have been helpful, thank you. Sister is getting new passport just in case but I suspect NI to Scotland is considered UK travel and we won't be asked for them. Mathepac, I didn't realise Dublin came between Larne and Troon (via?) but thanks for the tip - and I did enjoy your juxtapositioning!

Could you imagine the uproar if they started demanding passports to travel between to points in the UK?

but I suspect NI to Scotland is considered UK travel and we won't be asked for them

Could you imagine the uproar if they started demanding passports to travel between to points in the UK?

What reaction do you think you'd get from a unionist travelling to Rangers match if he was told he wasnt allowed into the UK without a passport?

Sister and self home from Scotland - we were not asked for passports at any time. Wonderful trip, beautiful Highlands, saw Nessie! After the distillery visit....